1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights and cb's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mopar/hiniker, Jan 27, 2007.

1. mopar/hiniker

mopar/hiniker Junior Member
    from iowa

i want to get a good setup af lights on my truck. i would also like to get a cb raido where do i find one and how much are they?

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

How much are you looking to spend?? and warning lights, running lights, flood lights???

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Just a lil word of advise, I used to have a CB in my old truck and unless you are on the highway ALOT, they are pretty useless. There really isnt many people on anymore unless you have a group of friends that all have/use them. Im not saying they are crap or anything but dont get one and expect much. If you want, you should get a ham radio, they are much more usefull.

As for lighting, we need more details

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree. My dad and I have taken ours out of the trucks. There is just nobody on. The local FD requires you to have them, but other than that there is little use. I wish it was the 70s when they were the biggest rage.

5. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

Yeah I have a barney bad ass cb/weather radio and I hated it. My lightbar would always cause interference and unless I was stationary, it was just static.. I was just annoyed by it. Hell if you want, I'll sell it to you. It just sits in my shed now.

6. mopar/hiniker

from iowa

well i want a cb becuse me and my friends are all going to get them for our trucks. i just want led lights to make my truck look cool. and to see better at night off road. and for plowing. and i just want to hook them up to a swicth system or somthing. Where do i get that.and how much will all this cost? and where do i get it.

7. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

I got a cobra cb/weather radio in my truck. usefull off road, as its the perfered choice of communications generally. Also find it handy on highways, where truckers inform of accidents ect so I can replan my trip routes. granted they arnt as used as they were back when I was in my young teens but there are still people out there with them, and see more and more vehicals with them lately.

8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

As far as where to buy???

Hi,
    I also still use a CB from time to time,easy way to talk with others you are plowing with.
    We still use them at the Asphalt plants to talk with the loaders and plant operator etc....
    I think a good place to check would be a local BIG truck dealer they usually run specials on lights and CB's..If you have a Mack,International etc dealer something like that in your area that might be a good place to start...

9. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I have a Cobra radio that I actually like to have in the truck for the weather radio. Very handy in that way.

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

My radio is a ...

I also have a Cobra 29 wx,nw,st...with a Wilson antenna seems to work well....In the past every truck that I had would have at least a cheap CB in them as we worked mainly on the highway it was a good way to communicate with each other...

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah on the highyway thats all i listed to as I drove OTR. Mine was all peaked and tuned with big dual antennas, it was great and the range was spectacular. But The one I had in my personal truck only got used when off roading since we (My firends that we went wheeling with) all had them. That was the only time I used mine in the truck because no one really used them like they use HAM radios today.

12. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Need a price range you are willing to spend on lights. That will help me give you a better idea of what is out there.:nod:

14. mopar/hiniker

from iowa

400$ i need bed lights and front lights and some backing up lights all hook up to some sort of switch system so i can turn the ones on that i need. just bright lights not flashing ones. the flashing ones give me headaches. thanks for everything

15. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so I have the two center lights on the bar are 150 watt off road lights and the two out side lights are 55watt fog lights. The ones under the bumper arent LEDs but they still look really cool at night. The Cbs mounted on the roof on the inside with the antennas moutned to the toolbox. [​IMG]

The lights mounted on the tool box are 150 watt KC's.
    [​IMG]

Every thing(LED grill lights,Fog lights,Off road lights,Led slimlighter, tool box lights) is controlled by a switch panel on mounted to the floor.(you can kinda see it in the picture)
    [​IMG]

16. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Not only is your bobcat a nice setup but your truck kicks ass too...an I am a chevy guy!

17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I love that truck 02powerstroke. Did you make the under the bumper diamond plate light bar?