1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lighting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by a2t2p, Dec 23, 2005.

1. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

we all know that the western lighting setup is a little lacking. short of mounting two KC highlighters to the light frame, what has anyone done to combat this problem.

maybe a part number on a replacement lens that has an h3 or h4 bulb that's a good fit with little or no mods.

thanks!!!

2. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I believe Western uses a sealed beam. Or at least my Ultramount does. The part number is a Sylvania #4666. You can go to Murray's or Autozone & replace these units with the Sylvania Silverstars, which are HID so to speak. I haven"t changed mine yet. I'll let you know when I do or if you do let us know.

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

brighter white bulbs, definitly not HIDs.:D

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Stop this thread, go to this one...

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=29069

really good info in this thread, just scroll down a bit. The fisher and western are the same, so the parts will interchange. yes you can exchange the sealed beam for a brighter one (a couple others actually) but as you will find out from my post, it comes at a cost: Bright light burns out MUCH faster.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The biggest problem is how the headlights are wired. If you were to run 10ga leads directly to the lights from a set of relays that would be switched by the relays that are currently used to transfer the power through the vehicle harness, you would notice a significant decrease in voltage drop. In other words, you are making your own "Isolation Module" by running the plow light power switched by relays, but drawing directly from the battery instead of the truck harness. Your headlight switch will last longer too.