1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lighting Trouble... Help Please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bdlawncare, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay so I have a 1995 dodge ram 2500 with a western ultra mount that was installed about a week ago... Ever since they installed the plow the high beam indicator has been stuck on with the plow off the truck, as in the trucks headlight high beam indicator was stuck on. The lights function properly. I brought the truck back to the shop without the plow and the mechanic said he " reversed the polarity and changed it from hb5 to hb1.. or vise versa not sure what this means but it seemed to fix the issue... Headlights, on truck operated perfect high/low beams with the indicator switching on and off as its supposed to.. Here is the kicker, when i went to hook up the truck to the plow the headlights on the plow were out completly no high beam/low beam.... and the indicator was again stuck in the on position, though this time i had NO lights whatsoever, except for running lights/blinkers. Now i brought it back to the shop and told the mechanic to switch it back to the way it was originally working on the plow seeing as this is solely used as a plow truck in the winter. He did so and everything seemed to be fine, however i get home, start the truck for the second time since i parked it and i have an effin headlight out! Now I do have HID's in the plow but they were working fine when he switched them, and not I either have a blown headlight bulb or another problem.... These bulbs are brand new, so im assuming its not the bulb, which i will check in the morning, however is there anything else you guys can think of... I know it is a complicated problem with many different aspects, but i also know that you guys are genius's when it comes to fixing plows/equiptment.... if anyone has any ideas the help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truarn

Truarn Junior Member

Inside of the HID ballast, there is a micro chip which is used to detect whether there is any problem. Any
    problems such as surges, voltage spikes, power shortage and even extremely high heat will trigger the selfprotect
    and shut the ballast off temporarily. It takes approx. 3 minutes for the micro chip to reset. After a minimum of 3
    minutes, turn off the HIDs and wait approx. 3 to 5 minutes before use.
    Check the fuses. Use at least 30mA fuse if the stock 15mA fuse blows. Switch the failing bulb module to the
    working one to see if the problem remains. If the bad light now works, the bulb could be faulty. If the problem still
    persists, the Ballast and/or Igniter may be at fault.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a "3mod" or a "4mod"? The reason why I am asking is because your light configuration might be wrong.There are different headlight configuration .

Here a 3 mod and 4 mod setup

three mod.jpg

four mod.jpg

4. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

It was as simple as a bad connection at the headlight.... something about flipping the plug and going from hb1 - hb5. the only problem still remaining is that the high beam indicator is stuck on when the plow is removed.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

These might help. Little info to read

might help.jpg

some info.jpg