1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lighting schematic

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ymerejsregor, Jan 10, 2005.

1. ymerejsregor

ymerejsregor Junior Member

I came across this site and it looks like a great resource for plowing info. Aside from the fact that I own a Snowbear, which seems to be like putting a bullseye on your back, I hope I can learn a lot from you folks.

My question is: I just ordered a set of lights off or E-Bay (hi /lo / parking / turn), which I want to be able to wire up and use the existing controls in the truck (e.g. turn signal, hi/lo, light switch, etc.). Basically my general plan is to use relays off of each existing light to the corresponding truck light to the plow lights I ordered. Does anyone out there have any schematics and / or advice.

Thanks in advance! It's great to find a place like this to get advice.

Jeremy

2. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

That kind of depends on the vehicle your talking about. Late model trucks are a bit more complicated and computer issues may come into play. If you have an older truck this may help. It is for older Meyers plows and how mine is done. Turn & parking on plow work allways, headlights choice of truck or plow.
    http://www.centralparts.com/PDFs/Meyer/07855 Kit 1-555.pdf

3. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

How do you plan on mounting them. The SB light mount works well on my plow. Sometime I hope to put real lights on it...but the SB ones work.

I used the parking light to trigger the relay for my snowbear light, which was wired to the battery. Relays are pretty easy and cheap to work with.

Paul

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I borrowed this one from western and modified it a little.
    Just run your running and turn signals without relays.
    Just tap in and have them both (truckside and plow) operate at the same time.

Then you will have to cut your harness to 1 headlight and splice in the relays.
    Then feed the output side back into both headlights, and the plow.
    You can feed these 2 relays off 1 side so you won't need 4 relays to do this.

Note colors may not match your truck.

headlamp.JPG

5. ymerejsregor

Thanks for everyone's help! Just to clarify, there shouldn't be any trouble splicing directly in to the running and turn signals? I didn't know if that would be too much draw on those circuits.

6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

No worries.
    All 3 trucks I have owned were wired this way.
    Just tap in and go.
    It's not that much different than when you hook up a trailer.

7. ymerejsregor

Not sure. I'm trying to decide whether to just buy the SnowBear mounts and save myself the trouble of trying to fabricate something. $85 is the cheapest that I can find them (delivered price) which just seems to m like a lot of money for no more than is in them. I only paid $500 for the plow new, so I hate to put almost 20% of that in two mounts. Does anyone know where I can get the Snowbear mounts cheaper? If so, I would probably just go that way.

Jeremy