1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lighting requirements

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tonyandann, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tonyandann

tonyandann Junior Member
    from 12860

We just bought a 1991 blazer with a snowway snowplow for the purpose of plowing our own property. We live in upstate New York. We have 2 properties we own that are about 5 miles apart and we only use the truck for plowing our own properties. The plow works great, but it does not have any additional lighting. The frame only holds the plow, it does not extend up in front of the grill to hold a light bar like other trucks I see on the road. Do we need additional plow lights? If so, where can they be mounted? I am trying to avoid buying a new frame. I don't care what the truck looks like, I just want it legal so I can plow my own property.
  2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the NY laws for this but the best thing would be to ask your local or state police, since they are the ones who will be writing the ticket if your in violation. I know here in PA if you have a plow on, and the plow blocks any part of the lights, you (are supposed) to have plow lights with turn signals on the vehicle. Now I have seen guys running around with out plow lights but I quess the cops just let it slide.
  3. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Even if you only plow on your own property, there's still that 10-mile round trip between the two places. If you go on a public way, even if it's daytime but you get caught in crappy weather, you could get ticketed:
    (New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law)
    Most plow rigs (older Fishers, anyway) used a selector switch to have either the headlights or the plow lights on when the vehicle's headlight switch was turned on. On my Minute Mount 2, the changeover is automatic when I plug the cables from the plow assembly into the matching cables on the truck. Then the taillights and everything are on, but the headlights aren't reflecting off the back of the plow.
    With "professional" plow lights, you also have front turn signals that aren't blocked by the plow.

I can't seem to embed the direct link in the post, but go here and type "80888" into the site search box. That'll bring up the Truck-Lite® Snow Plow/ATL Light Kit.
    You'd have to wire them up, but maybe with something like a roof rack (half a luggage rack) you could clamp the rack to the hood of the truck, and make the lights demountable.
    The light kit would be about $140, which would probably be cheaper than a ticket. If they help you plow your property at night and see well enough to not bump into anything, they might be even more of a bargain. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

make brackets and mount between hood and above the factory headlights .make sure high enough to show over plow when driving down road. my first truck i used fogs lights on . dont forget yellow light on top of truck for people to see you plowing.
  5. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

As others have said, do check with local enforcement. I run a 1997 Cherokee w/ 24d Sno way w/o lights and it does fine. In fact, my wife prefers it because no light bar obstruction. The only thing I do is make sure the clear poly is clear and polished. If they become hazy it does cut the light.