1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lighting help!!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gmplus3, Sep 13, 2014.

1. gmplus3

gmplus3 Junior Member
    from pa

I hope I'm not repeating a thread and if so I apologize. I have a 2007 chevy 2500hd(new body style). I purchased used a western ultramount complete that came off a 2007 gmc 2500hd(new body style) last season. installed the entire setup and was working great. the other day I noticed the high beam on the truck was not working on the top bulb(there are 4 beams 2per side and the low beams are the top bulbs and all 4 beams are the highs). the top beam (when hi beams are selected) on the left hand side stopped working but the bottom beam was good and the low beam was good. started doing some checking with a test light and found the orange wire to have no power in the hi setting. traced wires and found nothing so I figured it was a bad module( I have the 26400 4 port). then I swapped the #3 port and the #4 port harness and now all lights work as they should. the plow lights also work as they should except when the ports are swapped the turn signals are backwards. now I am back to thinking its a wiring issue. anyone have any ideas before I go buy a $250 module that I may not need?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you may have the wire plugged in backwards on one of the bulbs on the truck. The GM four headlight system has only two high beams and two low beams, but since they are physically separated the high and the low beams can be on together (when in high beam position of the switch) and they don't get too hot. Single high / low beams always alternate with only one or the other on at any given time or they burn out prematurely from the heat.
    Anyway, back to the issue.... Since there are two separate bulbs on each side with only two wires to each bulb, it doesn't matter which way the current flows through, so at the factory they don't pay attention to which way they are connected; however, when you hook up to your Western headlight harness it does matter. Hot must connect to hot and common must connect to common. What I would do is access the back of the truck side headlights and try flipping the plugs that connect from the original truck headlight plugs to the Western headlight harness. You will notice that the key is missing on the Western female side so they can be plugged in either way.
    On the 4 port module, switch your two plugs back where they belong to get your signals flashing correctly and then go to the side where the headlight is failing. Switch those two plugs one at a time until all the headlights work. Remember, switch it at the cable not at the bulbs. Accessing those connections can be a pain if you have dual batteries but it's better than spending $150. Interesting though that you say all was working fine at one time.... Try this and then post your results so we can continue if required.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  3. gmplus3

gmplus3 Junior Member
    from pa

so I just went and reversed the bottom beam(hi beam) plug like mishick suggested and it cured the issue. still a little puzzled as to why it worked fine before and seemed to all of a sudden stop but in any case its back to normal now. thanks so much!!! I was worried I would be lookin at a new module.

4. mishnick

Great news. It puzzled me too that u said it worked previously but the description you gave was classic for this problem so I thought it was worth a shot. Main thing is that it works now.

5. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Isn't there the jumper for when the turn signals are backwards? YOU MOVE THE TERMINALS IN THE THREE WIRE CONNECTOR? sorry for yelling

6. mishnick

On the three port module there is but on the four port you switch the headlight cable plugs to orient signals.