1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lighting/Electrical Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkEagleUSA, Aug 19, 2014.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Seems my 97 K2500 has developed some issues with lighting. The only bulb that comes on in the rears is the backup lamp. Turn on parking lights, backup lamp comes on. Turn signals blink rapidly if the lights are on but it's the backup lamps that illuminate. Brake lights same thing.

I disconnected the rear lights completely and I still get the rapid blink, etc. All the front bulbs appear fine. At first I thought it might be a bad bulb but everything seems fine. I'm now thinking maybe a bad switch, but which one?

It appears that something is backfeeding through the ground circuit since the backup lamps don't share anything else with the rest of the lights.

Can anyone shed any light on this? ;)

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the ground. Sounds like a rusty bad connection to me

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Def a ground

4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Exactly what the problem was. The 2 ground wires at the rear of the chassis were attached to a bracket that rotted off. A couple of new ring terminals and a 5/16 bolt and I'm back in business.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would run a gnd from the batt straight back to the lights