1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lighting and wiring some strobes-HELP

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by srl28, Jul 11, 2007.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

We have a set of Nova strobes mounted near the brakelights of our freightliner dump. I ran the wires to the cab and into the powerpack/box thing. Now for the life of me (and I am for some reason horrible with electrical like this : ) I cant get a switch to be wired properly to shut them off. I have power as I can get them on and all, but without a switch, can't shut em off. Can anyone provide some hints or tips or even a simple diagram that may help. Nova was little help BTW
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well thats odd ... all strobe power packs have a ground and positive wire . ground wire gets grounded out ... and the other wire get connected to the switch and then to the positive point of the battery ..
  3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Actually they have 1 wire to ground,1 wire to 12v constant and at least 1 wire to a switched 12v depending on if it has the ability to change patterns.
    Do you have a picture of the unit so we can see the wires?
  4. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Sorryno pic right now, maybe later if I get a second. I'll try and describe it . There are two cables coming into the box, from the strobes themselves with connectors on them. Coming out of the box, and this is where it all begins, there is one cable, inside there is one red, one black, and one white wire. Where does each go to? How is it hooked to the switch? Thanks for your help:)
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've wired Nova several times. What model number do you have ( on the head unit not the strobes )?
  6. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

Going off experience with other strobe systems...

There should be a plug with 2, possibly 3 wires off to one side of the power supply. This is for Power/Ground/Pattern select.

Red/Black/Some other color.

For the actually strobe tubes, there should be a Black, Red, and White. From what I remember, Red is on the left of the connector. The connector should only plug in one way
  7. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Thanks guys but I was looking just to wire and connect the strobe power box/supply to the trucks battery and somehow have a switch in between to shut them on and off. There are three wires coming out of the power supply/box, one red, one black, and one white, Where and how should these three be hooked up to the switch and truck battery?? Thats the problem I'm running into.
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

To be sure - I need your nova strobe model number. If I were to guess it would be Hot Power ( You might use this for a switch ), Ground, and flash pattern switching.

HOWEVER, the newer strobe heads keep a hot lead all the time and then use low voltage lines to activate the head groupings.

Need your model number.
  9. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

OOPs! :blush2: Truck-lite not nova, I had a Nova on another truck! Has I'm sorry! :dizzy: