1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightest snow blower for 1 sidewalk

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carcrz, Sep 12, 2008.

1. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Starting to get some calls for contract renewals. I am wanting to get a small snow blower to do only 1 set of sidewalks. It's got to be lightweight since I will be lifting it onto the salt in the bed. I am just getting tired of having to shovel when it's still snowing out. It'd be great to knock it out in a few minutes & get back in the warm truck. I might even push more small sidewalks if it works half way okay. Full time electric is okay also, as there is plugs right by the front door.
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Toro Powerlite
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I almost thought about the Toro Power Shovel & just throw the extension cord on the back floor when I'm done. The sidewalk is 2 parts on each side of the entrance; only about 6 x 20 on each side.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

5. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Powerlite is a great little thrower! We use it infront of garage doors and sidewalks. Last season it really got a workout! 3yrs and NO problems. Easy to use on stairs too. Not so good when snow get over 6inches. It will handle it but slower.
    Good luck
  6. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

ditto on the powerlite great little blower... dont get an electric, like you said you may take on a few more...
  7. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

If you by an electric, make sure you take a shovel. That way, when you trip the breaker and can't get into the residence or commercial property at 4 or 5 in the morning to reset it, you can still clear the snow.

Toro Powerlite is perfect for your needs.
  8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

is there a place online to buy these that might be cheaper than on the stores???
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

power light all the way
  10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Craigslist. I have seen a bunch on there. People seem to buy them thinking they can blow right through the pile at the end of their driveway. When that doesn't work they sell them on craigslist and they buy a bigger blower. Luckily most of us on plowsite have plows to do the end of driveways so we can take the toro's off thier hands for a good price. I have calls and emails into two different people that have used them once or twice and are trying to get rid of them.
  11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Found mine on craigs list, sometimes there $200 others just want'm gone for $75-80.

Powerlite is easy in and out of the truck and very dependable, great for quick clean up
  12. scitown

scitown Senior Member

13. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

If you go to live.com and do a search you can get 30% off but a maximum of $200 on one of the Toro units listed there. You just have to wait 60 days to get the credit on Paypal

So after my $200 credit in 60 days I paid $528.99 with insurance for a Toro 421QR single stage power by the Tecumseh 4 stroke.

Retail is typically $699 before tax etc.

14. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

Toro Powerlite
  15. Exact Services

Powerlite vs the Power Clear

For those of you who have run both the smaller Powerlite how does it directly compare to the larger Power Clear?

Any point in owning both units or is there too much overlap?

The powerlite is half the weight of the slightly larger Power Clear which I just purchased.
  16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I found one on ebay and had it shipped for a grand total of $175. While talking about plowing with one of my customers the other day (he has plowed for 30+ years does 50 something drives a storm with a jeep wrangler and a little fisher straight blade.) I mentioned doing a couple sidewalks and walkways while I plow my customers. I finished mowing his lawn and the neighbors and on my trailer sat a Toro powerlite with a note that said "Take this it runs great. I dont have a use for it anymore." Pretty cool. Started second pull. Looks like his fall cleanup bill will get lost in the shuffle this year. Thought that was cool.
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have 3 of the Power Clear and they are not that heavy but 25% wider. I think you bought the right one but maybe asked the wrong question and that's why so many answered "powerlite".
  18. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

My dealer has a Powerlight for $ 449.00..I had one but didn't like it, went to the next size 2450. That model has been discontinued but there are still some left overs from 2006.
  19. Exact Services

I have the latest Toro brochure for 2008 and it still lists the 2450 GTS as a current model?
  20. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks, glad to hear that. Maybe they had second thoughts. The 2450 is a bit smaller in size and is easy to pick up.