1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLOWMAN21157, Jan 20, 2003.

1. PLOWMAN21157

PLOWMAN21157 Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    I want to install a rotating beacon lightbar on my 99 F350. I am skeptical about using magnetic mount........So the question is, how hard is it to permanently mount one and how much drilling etc. is needed. Would like to know before I buy one.......Also any suggestions on Brands, Models appreciated as well!!
    Thanks Dave

2. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Its not too hard. the worst part is snaking the wire through where u want it to go. Heres a helpful hint: Before you drill, put a piece of rubber hose in the bit, one that is just a little larger than the bit and cut it so that about a half of aninch of the bit is exposed. This way when u drill the bit won't get caught in the metal and screw down through the roof or your headliner. Other wise it pretty easy and if you ever sell the truck and want to take the light off, un bolt, plug the holes with some plastic caps u can get at either the cell phone store or I've seen them at Tractor Supply stores near the nuts and bolts. hope this helps

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Even though you plan on mounting it permantly watch that it doesn't get stolen. Here is a link to a thread that talks about lightbar theft.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could also bolt it onto a Backrack or similar setup.Save drilling holes in your truck.I have also seen a few mounted on tubing that was bolted into the stake pockets,again,no holes in the truck.

fordman made an important point,theft.Try to get some torx or tamper resistant torx screws to mount it.Not that someone couldn't get the right bit to take it off,just they probably wouldn't have it on hand,or even bother to steal it.

5. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

I would echo wyldman re: the backrack mount for a lightbar. I plan on doing this for my next truck (a few years away though). I have a light bar and 2 high band antennas (I am a deputy fire chief) coming through my roof. Snaking wires through the roof (after removing the head liner - not much fun) and down a front post is really a pain. If you mount to a backrack, you can bring your wires in through a plastic plug and then seal that up against leaks. Then you can easily pull everything off in the future if you want to sell the truck w/o the bar. Just my tcw. :)

6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We permamtly mount all our lights and bars. It makes for a much better looking job, works better because of the better ground and power connection, dosent leak water in where the cable runs thru the door or window weather strip. Its not really that big of a job. Usually easier to snake the wire down the back, instead of the front A pillar. Use a nice 12G wire, thru a switch, then an inline fuse near the battery. Connect directly to the pos term of the battery.

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Why?

I recommend Code 3, Magnetic mount, hard wired.

8. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I use the magnetic Highlighter light bar and had the truck over 75 mph all the way from Ohio to New Jersey and it was still in place when i got back home.

9. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

There are a couple of other things to consider. What is the alternator size in your truck? IF it is a PSD with the dual alternator option I would say this is not a problem. Due to a rotating lightbar having a high amp load . I would go with either a strobe or led lightbar. You also have to take into consideration is your plow pump electric over hyd. Most electric plow pumps use over 100amps on start up. And using a rotating lightbar + other stuff such as head lights, heater,and wipers at the same time will have a major amp load on your system and could lead to early system failure.

10. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Purchase a backrack and mount it off that like i do.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Plowman, it isn't too hard to drop your headliner down and it will make the job both safer and easier. Just unscrew the visors and then pop off the plastic trim that surrounds the headliner, it will drop right down. I've always pemanantly mounted my lights, I keep my trucks quite a while and usually sell them with the lights installed.

12. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Hey all! You could say im the topic of this post, I was the one with the stolen bar light!!! Someone gave a link attached on this post. We got our barlight back. Some bozo was driving right past one of our accounts about 1/2 mile from where it was stolen! Anyways we now have the light back and are going to mount it to a headache rack made by waether guard. We are going to bolt it to rack then weld the ends of the bolts where the nuts go and then we took 2 of our frame bed bolts out and installed I-hooks from a local dock shop and thats what we hold down our sander too! We are going to run a cable from rack and padlock it on both ends!!! You will need a torch to get know for you wont be able to get between the sander and rack otherwise! Oh yeah besides video servelance cameras at shop we know are pretected by 12 gauge pump!!!!! Word of advise or please take my opinion in this matter, Does your 99 have roof clearence lights? if so you can buy or install strobes in that location, second one of my subs has a 00 f250 and bought the magnet Stealth light with 3 flash patters and mag mount! We have had the truck on the turnpike over 90mph and light didnt move. Try www.awdirect.com or Floe wrecker services all on line for nice strobes!

13. PLOWMAN21157

PLOWMAN21157 Junior Member

Driving with the Bar on was the reason I was skeptical about magnetic mount. I have one of those round ones now, and it doesnt go anywhere, except when a tree branch hit it, twice and it came flying off!!

14. fordman

fordman Senior Member

See now if that light had been mounted in a fixed position you would have broken it. (Depending on the size of the tree branch of course)