1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar wiring question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

If I decided to install my 48" whelen edge 9000 with traffic adviser back on my truck, i have a question about the wiring.

It is a 94 f-250 5.8 it does have dual batteries, but the amp gauge does dip a little when raising the the plow.It didn't do this when I had it on my 99 7.3

So if i was to install this light bar, is there any type of relay i could use to draw less power?

I am going to be using a basic bosch relay for my back up lights so i dont draw as much power.

On the switch box for the light bar, the supply wire for this is like a 8 gauge wire, so that is why i am not sure what to use for a relay

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

A relay just prevents you drawing power from the switch it has nothing to do with making it physicaly draw less power. The back up lights are good to run off a relay so you dont over load the reverse switch or the wiring for the back ups.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

So i can just hook it up like i did before?

4. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Its your useing a control box thats rated and designed for that bar yeah.

5. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

I concur with 02PowerStroke. Make sure you use a fuse for the lightbar cable. DO NOT use a circuit breaker.

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Wire the lights on Battery 1 and the plow on Battery 2. Inline Fuse or Fusable link. you may also want to check everything on the plow hook ups to see where the pwr draw is coming from. Could be you need a new Alternator or Heavier Duty Batteries in that thing.

Just pulling some old ideas from my old mind...

7. Scenic Lawnscape

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Well it doesnt look it is going to snow anytime soon, so I guess this is a good time to check everything over:drinkup: