1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar wiring on 2010 Ram reg cab help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dave_dj1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I have a 2010 Ram 2500HD reg cab and I'm installing a Whelen Edge on it for plow season. I have to have the light removable in the off season as I am a contractor and haul lumber on my headache rack. I have the wiring sorted out, soldered in plugs that will be semi hidden between the headache and the rear window.
    Now my question, what is the best route to take to get the wires into the cab ?
    The 10 ga I will run under the cab and up to the battery, the other bundle of 12 wires I want to bring out under the dash so I can mount my cutom made switchbox. I have bucket seats, with a fold down center console, a console thingy with cup holders where the third passengers feet would be. The switchbox will get mounted in the center under the dash. Is there knockouts behind the seat area? Or should I come up through the firewall?
    thanks for any advice.
    dave

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Run it through the vent between the rear of the cab and box. I've done that with my last 3 trucks. Make sure you leave a loop that loops below the vent so water doesn't follow the cable in.

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

thanks for the info, I haven't had a chance to even crawl under the truck yet. Been busy thankfully.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Well, got the lightbar installed on Sunday morning, turns out it wasn't too difficult.
    I just couldn't see myself drilling a hole in my roof and I wanted to be able to remove the lightbar for the construction season so. I removed the tub in the rear of the cab, I have a tegular cab, and low and behold there was a rubber plug right behind the seat. I removed it and bored the hole out to an inch so I could use a rubber grommet. I had to run 12 wires through there, the two 10ga went under the cab to the battery with a 40 amp curcuit breaker. I have two 6 pin square trailer plugs on the light so I can unplug it and remove it.
    I will get some pictures up as soon as I get a second.