1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar size

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by beanz27, Jan 12, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I'm looking at getting a lightbar rather then the small strobe beacons that I have now. The beacons I can't complain about for my farm work or anything like that, but I don't have to deal with the idiots that I deal with while plowing. So my thoughts are now going toward lightbars. I'm debating between fullsized light bars or a mini.

What you guys think? The price difference matters a little bit, but if I have to spend more to not get hit that doesn't bother me, I'll put safety first.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Depends what you are looking for in a lightbar. Are you looking to add alley lights and take downs/rear work lights? A lot of guys like the mini and full size liberty light bars. Also a lot of guys like the mini pinnacle bar from soundoff. The problem with people on the roads is they do not pay attention to their surroundings. As far as they are concerned you are in their way and slowing them down.

What looks best on fullsize trucks is a 52 inch lightbar. You can get a extra lighthead in the bar compaired to a 48 inch bar. Me personally I would go either 48 or 52 inch.

Here are some links on strobesnmore forr full and mini bars.
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

get a full size bar led
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The first thing I’d suggest that you need to think about is how much you want to spend on a light bar. Strobe and halogen rotator light bars are relatively inexpensive and depending on model / brand, fairly decent at getting folks attention. And, there’s plenty of used stuff available out there right now. One downside – particularly with rotators – is amperage required. A four rotator light bar can draw quite a bit of juice. But, there are some dual rotator mini bars out there that I’d put up against some of the finest LED stuff – for a heck of a lot less money.

Speaking of which, if you have more money to spend, you can make the leap to LEDs. A decent LED light bar can almost break the rule of “size matters.” I’ve seen some small Whelen bars that really kick butt for instance. But, you’re going to pay pretty dearly compared to strobe or rotator bars. Yes, there are relatively inexpensive LED bars out there, but generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Watch out for the cheap Chinese E-Bay stuff.

And remember, with many of the full size light bars out there, you can have both an upper and lower level. I have four old school rotators in the upper level of mine and I'd put them up against almost anything. The lower level though is all LEDs from Star, Strobes n More and Whelen. Quite honestly, it kicks butt on the rotators.

So, the choice is yours.
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I've already decided it will be LED, forgot to mention that. I hate rotators, I'm on the fire team for the local area, our LED bars actually get noticed, the rotators do, but only at night or sometimes in the day. But the LED always gets seen. My current strobes aren't LED but they do fine in the day time. But for a light bar, LED is the only way to go.
  6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Cool! So now all you have to do is look at your budget and figure out which Whelen light bar you can afford. Sure, you might be able to get a bigger light bar from certain other manufacturers, but beware the actual performance. I've seen some really lame stuff out there.

And remember, anybody who shoots a video of their light bar at night can make it look bright.
  7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Oh I know. I've seen some ridiculous things of lights at night. The true test is bright summer days. I'm not quite sure what my budget is. If I go the full size route I'd like to get one with an arrow stick on it as I sometimes take my personal truck to calls, and it would be nice on the interstate, and even for ag related things.

I was looking at Whelen, Federal, Sho Me. Those are the 3 brands I'm actually familiar with.
  8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I technically cannot get colors other then yellow, white, or red. Honestly it's technically illegal for me to have anything besides yellow/amber, but in my county the cops don't care if your not deliberately pissing them off or using them irresponsibly. That being said I'd still only get amber/yellow cause I'll be moving sometime in the near future to an actual city. Just looking at single color things.

Better to be save or sorry.
  12. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

i have the 50inch whelen justice and i love it super bright