1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bignatewilson, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bignatewilson

bignatewilson Junior Member

I'm trying to decide between a Federal Signal Mini-Jet Solaris lightbar and a Whelen Mini LFL Liberty lightbar. I want to mount it to a Backrack, possibly with a fold-down bracket so i can use the rack when needed, but my question is about wiring. does anyone know how these two lightbars come? do they just come with a cigarette lighter adapter regarless of ordering Perm or Mag mounts? Or if I do order Perm mount option, do I need to get some sort of a switch box to change the flash patterns?
    Also as a side question, for the guys in Massachusetts, is it ok to have these kind of lightbars on a truck or do you get hassled by the police at times?
    thanks guys

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Both lightbars are comparible. The Solaris (Federal) has sections you can remove to replace and the bar will keep working. That's pretty much the only difference. Magnet Mounts can be made to be Perm mounts. Just take the magnets and screw off the bar, get the pattern right on what your going to mount it to and go from there.

I'm actually not sure on the wiring issue for the different flash patterns. Some have switches inside the bar for your pattern selection some are remotes. All you have to do if it does come with a cigarette lighter plug to wire it perm. is cut the end off and run it through an inline fuse then switch to pwr supply.

3. bignatewilson

I am familiar with the lightbars themselves, my question is to find out specifically how they come when ordered. I know i can cut and splice the end. I'd like to avoid that. my goal is to be able to change flash patterns in the cab, and i know some come with the cigarette plug with a button to switch patters. but that is usually with the Magnetic mounts. I want to do a permanent mount and not waste the extra 20-30 bucks for magnets i won't use. but if i do order Perm mount, does it still come with a cig plug or does it come with something else(switch box)? I'm hoping someone who either sells these, or someone that has bought one or seen or used one can let me know a definite answer.

4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you order permanent mount, at least on the Whelen, you will get a good solid multiconductor cable with cut ends that you wire into a switchbox or panel. I would go that route because that harness allows you to hookup a pattern switch very easily and it also allows you the option of front only, back only, etc. As for Mass cops, its not really a big deal. If you put amber lenses on it your probably safer though, some of the staties have been asking for credentials on some of the guys with leds that have clear lenses. Seems they have been having a problem because people can get red or blue and no one knows what color things are until they are on.

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I just bolted up my mini jet solaris 12 head to my backrack. The Jet comes perm mount with about 15ft of thick tough shielded cable just like whelens perm mount models. It does has a flash pattern wire so you can change patterns inside your cab. The jet is brighter than a standared mini liberty and its cheaper.

6. bignatewilson

Ultimate, if you don't mind me asking, where did you order from and how much did you pay? Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I payed around 1/2K

8. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Check with Blueline...He's the PRO at bars, wiring etc... He may know someone or someplace to set you up.