1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BlueRam2500, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Hi all. I am planning to purchase a plow for my truck for next winter and I want to buy a yellow light. I was wondering how guys on this board have their lights mounted, whether on the roof or on a rack of some sort and what kind of lights do you have. I am looking at either a rotator or mini strobe bar. I was looking into the Back Rack to mount the light permanently in the truck. Any suggestions on what to do? Any pictures of your setups would be greatly appreciated.
  2. towelman

towelman Junior Member
    from idaho

check out the pics page there are some good ideas on there

take a look at the kids set up!
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I use this:

Federal Signal twin rotator with a center mirror- magnetic mount to the roof and a single stobe mag mount as a backup or for the Chevy.
    I want to be able to still fit in a parking garage so a perm mount is not possible- plus it's an increase in drag (decrease in gas milage) and being exposed to the weather all year the lens needs to be replaced alot more often. It's bright, gets attention, and comes right off in the spring.

Personally I can't stand those Back Rack things- I am considering installing a complete SS louvered headache rack, but for $500 it will wait. BTW my bar even shows over the cap on the back of my truck (trying it out for this season to keep things dry)
  4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have my truck and 2 buds parked the other night and we put our lights on and i have to say the brightest were
    1st.whelen guardian (mine)
    2nd.federal signal 2000
    3rd. target tech highlighter..good luck hunting
  5. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Light Bars?

I have been plowing all my life--& heres my suggestions? if Your going to be Plowing Highways--or just Huge Parking lots--Open spaces--Light Bars are GREAT! but--If your going to Plow Driveways-- Confined Areas-- Camp Roads ECT--Light Bars tend to Get Busted!--Hitting Things--Low Hanging Branches ECT!--I suggest YOU get an Inexpensive Magnetic Rotator--as they Show UP a lot Better than a I nexpensive Magnetic Strobe!--I have BOTH--I Use the Strobe in Transit--Going from One Job to Another--& un-plug the Strobe--& Plug In the Rotator when I*M Plowing--Main Reason?--if You have a Stationary Mount & hit Branches ECT--It tends to Get Busted!--But-- With a Magnetic Mount--It tends to just Gets Knocked Off!--& All you have to DO? is Stop & Place It back ON! & Price Wise!--Light Bars Are Pretty Expensive!--& the In-Expensive Magnetic Strobes or Roators run from under $20.00 to $30.00--depending on where You Buy them? I Hope this Helps?--Ole JIM--
  6. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

A guy after my own heart...

Only people like us would say...."hey, 3 light bars.... lets play with 'em"

then say.... "oooooh....flashy lights."
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Blue Ram
    I have a Show me mini light bar,its real bright at night but hard to see during the day. Its mounted on a backrack that will come off in the spring. I just bought a Code 3 XS8000 that had two rotar's which will be going on the truck this week. The show me mini bar is going to get mounted in the rear of my spreader. I already have two small strobe head's on the back but more is better.

Regards Mike
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

you got it..LOL :bluebounc
  9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll be selling my Whelen twin strobe Guardian after I get my Vista put on let me know if your interested.I used it about 4 times.