1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar question and battery question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CrazyCooter, Dec 28, 2009.

1. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

So, I have a 48" lowpro lightbar on my truck, but the stock clips that come with it stink.. They have actually vibrated loose at highway speeds and I have had to stop and take off the lightbar and chuck it in my truck. Tightening doesn't help - the mounting brackets are too small (2" wide) and just can't handle the vibration. It does have 4 rubber feet that rest on the top of the cab. I am considering skipping the brackets and replacing the rubber feet with 4 magnets instead; I go through a lot of low trees and brush and would rather have the lightbar slide back then rip off.

My question is: How strong of a magnet should I use? I can get 4 magnets that are 100lb pull for $40, or I can get 4 300lb magnets for $100. So I can get ones that have a total of 400lbs of pull or a total of 1200lbs. So, do you think 400lbs of attachment force for the light would be enough, or should I go with the more powerful magnets?

AFA the battery - I want to hook up two batteries in my truck; I have the room in my engine compartment to do so. Is it ok to just run leads from the new battery to the stock battery in parallel (as if you were using jumper cables) or should I run one lead (+ and -) from each batteryto the stock system wiring? Does it make a difference, assuming I have top and side posts on each battery?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Do a search for dual battery....you will find a bunch of good photo.......
  3. CrazyCooter

I have, and there are pics and descriptions of either way. I was just wondering if it matters one way or the other - as one is most certainly easier that the other to wire.
  4. clinicalenginee

clinicalenginee Junior Member

Recommendation on the light bar, install it on a headache rack. If your vibrating it loose with rain gutter brackets, i don't think magnets are going to do any better. I know a guy who installed a fire dept wacker bar with magnets back in day on his s-10. Lets put it this way, it took flight at highway speed. Luckily landed in the bed and not on the car behind him.
  5. CrazyCooter

Ok. I didnt want to go with the headache rack if possible because I didn't want to permanent mount it and have the chance of it being broken; I plow a lot of private roads and end up with a lot of low -hanging branches hitting it...

My old 24" bar was held on with 4 magnets and it would withstand 60mph winds and highway speeds - and they we'rent that powerful magnets - only about 25lbs per...

I thought that maybe either the 1200lbs of magnet pull or the 400lbs should be enough to hold it on at highway speeds. But good point - I don't need it to come loose, either.

Guess I'll sell this one and go back to my smaller lightbar. I used my smaller one for 3 years and knocked it off about 2-4 times per year and it still works. Guess I'll keep using the tried and true.
  6. CrazyCooter

good idea about not using the magnets. Whelen has a 24" bar that uses 4 90lb magnets. Given the added dimensions and frontal area, 4 300lb magnets should hold it - but I don't want it to flip off, either.

Sooo, any responses about the battery idea?
  7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

check the dual battery thread again and pay specific attention to B&B's response on what cables and where............if that doesn't break you problem loose, you must re word you question.

Good luck
  8. highclimber604

highclimber604 Junior Member

you wire them in parallel!!!! pos. to pos. neg. to neg. use a heavy duty battery wire too!