1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar on your personal vehicle?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Jun 29, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am wondering how many of you mount a lightbar permantely to your own personal vehicle? Are you comfortable with it, or is just "OK" with it? Do you find a problem with that?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I do,would,and did.My trucks showcase my business,and are also used for personal transportation.Even way way back,when I started out solo,I had tons of lights on my truck.I just like to show off sometimes I guess.
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Welps, I have a FS Highlighter Mag mount on my truck. Perm. mount would require a hole in the roof. Meaning If I wanted to trade/sell it to some one, It may be a bit harder.
    The Mag mount I have Is great, No problems with it holding up to any winds at any speed. Heck I've left it on through Delta-Sonic car wash before with no movement & they are known for ripping off license plates & wipers...
    My 2500 HD can fit in most parking garages w/ little problem unlike a F-250 or a Ram. All I need to do is throw the CB antenna in the bed or unscrew the actual antenna. The Highlighter I can take off & throw in the bed or in the cab. I connected it through the aux light switch wiring in the rear panel w/ a 2 way connector, the same type as a 4way trailer but only smaller w/ 2 pins. So I can easily remove it if necessary. Perm mount, is good if you regularly park in areas where it may get ripped off... Mag mount people usually don't climb into your bed & take the thing off unnoticed.
    The major bonus with my Mag mount is I can fit my 2500HD into my garage to work on or whatever by simply taking the light off. W/ a perm mount there would be NO possible way to fit my baby in there.

Just a couple things to think about.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I have a perm mount too. I bought the truck at a used car dealer , and it was an old highway dept. truck. I had almost tore it off going to an undergroung parking lot:eek: I had to do a u turn and park outside. I do get alot of people waving to me because i look like a county or town worker
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want the security of a permanent mount,but be able to get into low areas,you can buy or make a mount or bar that "flips" over backwards.Take a look at sometow trucks.They use them for underground parking.Pull two clips,and the whole unit flips over below the back edge of the cab.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Something you need to consider is theft. I made a mount for mine that allowed it to fit into a headache rack I made. The bracket and rack were drilled with 5/8" holes and then locking pins, like the ones for a receiver hitch, held it on. Still easy to remove for me but not for someone in the middle of the night.

I wish I had a picture.
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

We have small light bars on all our trucks, including our subs. I have a permanent mount on the headache rach of my flat bed dually. I have dual magnet mount mini-bars with trailer light connectors on my wifes' Ramcharger. That lets me remove the bars quickly but still keep the better, permanent wiring in the cab. It also lets me trade out yellow for red since she also drives for the local ambulance team. I have simple cigarettte lighter models for the subs. I have several Star brand 2 builb light bars with diamond mirrors. The are not real quality and prone to some problems but they are cheap. (around $105)
    I like the Whelen 2 bulb minibar with the diamond mirror in between the bulbs the best. I also have an Ecco that is OK but flashes a little faster than I like.
    We like to be seen !!
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a light bar on my truck it's both my personal and work truck.The more lights the better:D I have the 8 strobe on the roof Whelen and the 90 watt whelen hidaways in fron and back I would love to add more Lets put it this way I can be seen in the day and night. :waving:
  9. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

cat320 do you have any voltage prolbems w/ all that lighting? If that was my truck the alt would die. Or od ya have a HD alt?
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I too have a permanent mounted lightbra on my headache rack. It is easitly removable, but not that easy. I used a Weatherpak connector for quick and sealed connecting/disconnecting.

I also have oval self-contained strobe heads mounted flush on the backside of my toolbox. I plan to use them when in a praking lot or when the bar is not really needed.
  11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I have a magnetic strobelight that mounts on the top of my dump body. I use it often for snowplowing and at work. I dont leave it on top because of the fear of it getting stolen.:alien:
  12. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I remember on lawnsite, landscaper3 from maine had his whelen light bar stolen and his roof smashed a little because some thieves took his lightbar off his roof.

I would eventually like to get an 8 strobe whelen lightbar with cruise lights, alleys, takedowns, and rear work lights.

I like the look of strobe bars. My hide-aways are great, but to move traffic, a strobe bar works great.

I'm probably also going to rewire my strobe lights on the ford.
    Hopefully i'll be getting the body damage fixed soon and get the truck all repainted with a sunvisor, lighted bumper poles, tints, diamond plate tailgate and rail covers.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Snowjoker It runs fine no problem well strobs use less power than rotators that is one reason for me gettin the strobes.But I run every thing with a standard alt. that came with the truck so when plowing i have all my lights going plus the plow then my sander is electric but not going while the plow is going .
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My trucks have always had permanently mounted lights, they are after all trucks! When I've sold the truck, the light goes with it, usually another plowing contractor buys them so he has a need for the light. My older trucks had a single twin bulb rotating beacon by Grote, I've switched to LEDs and strobes on the new trucks for the low voltage draw.

I wouldn't consider a light bar on the cars, though. For my fire service needs, I use a dash light or grill lamps on the car. I like the cars to appear stock.
  15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Want 6 more? I've got a Whelen strobe control box. Installed in one vehical but removed before it was used. I was on U/W rescue and wanted hide aways.

I'm going to go with halogen rotators in a bar on a head ache rack. I kinda think strobes tend to be anoying in a heavy snow. All that flashing wigs me out :dizzy:

Do like thier amp draw or lack of though

Better watch it though.....you dont want planes trying to land on you :p