1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lightbar Brakes/Turn - Switch Box Setup

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hblandscaping27, Dec 4, 2008.

1. hblandscaping27

hblandscaping27 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a federal signal streethawk lightbar and was wondering how the brakes and turn signals work in. Do I hook them up to one of the switches and it will operate through the relay, or do I splice them into the main harness somewhere? :help: Any help would be greatly apreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I spliced the Stop/tail turns on my headach rack in to trailer light harness under the bed. what kind of truck are you doing this on.

3. hblandscaping27

its a 79 CJ7

4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Run it through trailer light harness!

5. hblandscaping27

Yea, I just bought this CJ7 so I am not sure if it has a trailer wiring harness, but I'll just hook it up to the rear lights if so. Thanks for the help!

6. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

The federal Signal Street hawks never came with S/T/T lights, those two lights under the rotators are alternating flashers or work lights, depending on how they were wired up in the bar. :rolleyes:

7. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

Normally the Street Hawk came with four rotators, two rear halogen flashers, two alley lights(one on each side) a pair of front takedown/work lights(front). With just the rotators and flashers you will be pulling close to 25 amps. Make sure you have a HO Alt and a big battery. I would use 8ga wire to supply the main switch box with a 40 amp fuse. Use the maxi's. Brookings Industries makes great switch boxes and are sold at a good price. http://http://www.lshlights.com/AMAZING. Halogen lightbars with rotators are power robbing.