1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lightbar and controller installed

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by sparky8370, Dec 23, 2007.

1. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I just installed my new to me whelen edge 9000. It's a 6 strobe unit with 2 more available. It has alleys and takedowns, as well as 4 flashing halogens. Four of the strobes are in the corners and two are in the centers. I will be adding the two other twist ins in the spaces available on the back of the bar.
    I bought this bar used on ebay. It was a filthy mess with only the two lenses that are on the takedowns and the front flashers. There was some for the center strobes too, but I replaced them. I would have replaced it all, but I didn't buy enough lens.
    I meant to take pictures during the install too, but I forgot. I installed a four conductor trailer hitch for a disconnect. I mounted it on the trac-rack for now, until I get the right mounts for the roof. That's why the cable is so long.
    I mounted the controller in the overhead console in my 01 Chevy 2500HD. I just need to make a small filler panel for it now. It fit perfectly. It was a nice tight fit. I cut the brackets that came with it, and pushed them into a small pocket on either side and then bolted it to the controller so it can't come out.
    The pictures are from when I got it, took it apart, cleaned it, assembled it, and then after it was installed.
    Oh, I also painted the dividers white with Krylon fusion paint.

2. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

More pictures

3. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

More pictures added

4. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

here's the last one

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Wow that looks like it was a pain in the ass to do all that. But I gotta say it looks great! [​IMG]

Could you post some pics of how you attach it to the roof when you get that far?
  6. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

That is the same bar I have. I am looking for amber lenses and also the stinger in the front is not working so I want to do something different with that.
  7. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I may just fab something up for that. I was thinking about making the pieces for the gutter with two rectangular slots. And then making the piece for the bar with two tabs to go into them. That way I can easily remove it when I need to.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good! I like were the controls are mounted!
  9. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Thanks, yeah I love them there too. They almost look factory, should look really good once I get the filler plate made.

The first picture of my second post you can kinda see the difference after cleaning/polishing it. The picture doesn't do it justice as far as the difference in how it looked in person. The right side is done in that picture.
  10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I came out great, definately worth the time.... :drinkup:

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Did you drill a hole in the cab of the truck for the harness?
  12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Yes, I drilled a hole in the back near the third brake light and installed a 4-pin trailer connector for a quick connect. I also ended up drilling my own hole in the firewall to run the power wire. It only came with so much, and I didn't want to wait. So I just drilled one on that side and put in a grommet. When I drilled the hole in the back of the cab, I made sure it lined up with a hole that's in the pocket so I would have clearance for the wires.
  13. somm

somm Senior Member

a much better strobe setup than ours.
    Thanks for the ideas and know-how.
  14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Wow that looks like alot of work but looks great!
  15. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I dunno... Nice setup except for that hole you put in the top of the cab.. :nono:
  16. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

good bar .. good setup ... just outta curiousty why paint the edge lens dividers white ??
  17. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yep, going thru the third brake light is always cleaner looking down the road.
  18. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

sweet lightbar
  19. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I may just get myself into trouble with this, LOL. My headlights are pointed down for some reason. Someone left his high beams on so he got the take downs.:gunsfiring: Didn't take him long to shut em off.:p
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007