1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light wiring

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JLsDmax, Jan 11, 2013.

1. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

I run 3 types of warning lights on my truck:
    16" Whelen Mini Century
    (2) Maxxima surface mount LEDs
    Omega 60-watt (4)head strobes

All are wired individually to power and ground. The mini century is new becasue i had an issue with a strobe box frying itself. but since then i have recieved a new strobe control box and would like to use it since the strobe bulbs are already in my lights. My questions are..

1)Can i wire a junction box from my battery and run these (3) types of lights individually?

2) I am not sure if i fully understand the junction box...i know it has multiple terminals...does that mean i can run a main power wire from my battery to the box and then run indivdual power to each light setup?

3) will all lights running off the one power wire to the box have less power to each?

I am not a rookie when it comes to wiring lights in trucks but i am definately not and expert, i just have never used a junction box and am not familiar with junction box(or block) I have a gmc with side terminal batteries and side terminals suck for adding accessories..so until i buy new batteries with top and side terminals i am considering the above solution.

2. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

All you have to do if you get a switch box is run one power wire from the battery to the box. From there you put each light onto a different switch which will let you turn then on one by one. This will not limit the power or make them dimmer. Then find a good ground somewhere next to the light or if you have them all in the same spot just find some where under the dash.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i considered that, the only thing is that i have already installed switches on my dash and in specific places. I dont want to have a bunch of switches that dont do anything.

4. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Oh I thought you had a switch box if you have the switches in the dash its the same thing. Just run one wire from the battery and then use butt end connecters and split it off 3 times.

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Just out of curiosity (since you said you already fried something), where do you have your fuse(s) located? You never want to have an unfused long run of wire. I generally prefer to have some sort of overload protection within about 18" of the power source. The same goes for junction & switch boxes.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

This is what I would do if I was in your situation. I would take all the old wiring out. Start fresh. Here is some stuff you will want to go buy.

Fuse block w/ grounds http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50554

3 4 pin relays

Fuse holder

Fuses

Here is where I would start.

Run 2 10 gauge wires. One red one black from the battery. The black one will go to the ground side of the fuse block. The red one will go to the positive side of the fuse panel. Use the fuse holder inline on the red wire. Do not put a fuse in it yet as you do not want power going to the fuse panel yet.

Off the fuse panel run a 16 gauge wire to 3 switches. You can use one wire and dasiy chain one to the next and so on. Make sense?

If your switches are lighted follow this step, if not skip it.
    Run a 16 gauge black ground and dasiy chain them one to the next to the next. Then run 3individual wires off the switches to the 3 individual relay trigger pins.

If your switches are not lighted run 3 individual wires off the switches to the 3 individual relays. (each switch gets its own relay.)

Wire the relays individually to the fuse block. Use 14 gauge wire. (pin #30)

Dasiy chain the grounds for the relays like you did the switches power. Use 14 gauge wire. (pin #85

Hook up the wires off the switches to the relay trigger pins. (pin #86)

Your lightbar, work lights and strobes will get hooked to the relay (pin #87)

On the main fuse holder install a 15 amp fuse.

Where the lightbar relay is hooked to the fuse block install a 15 amp fuse.
    Where the strobes relay is hooked to the fuse block install a 15 amp fuse.
    Where the led back up lights relay is hooked to the fuse block install a 10 amp fuse. (I am basing that off a guess as I do not know exactly which ones you have. At most those lights will pull that, but being they are led I doubt it.)
    Where the main switch wire is hooked to the fuse block install a 5 amp fuse. (this isn't really needed, but just incase something bypasses the main wire fuse it will pop this so it doesn't send signal to the relays. Hope all this makes sense. Make sure to do your install like this or as close to it as possible. last thing you want to do is burn your truck down.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  7. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

Everything is fused, the issue with the strobe box was that i had a remote start installed in my truck and the original installer of the strobe box had tapped off the ignition power, it overloaded the box and it was done for. THe box gets power with a new fuse but blows the fuse eveytime now. it was time for anew one, it was like 6 years old

8. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i like this idea, it isnt an issue of messy wiring. Every light has a fuse, and has a solid ground, and is run neatly to the engine compartment and into the cab. i am just interested in a neater way to attatch to the battery.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That would be the way to do it. Also run everything in loom.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you tapping pwr directly off the batt??? you could tap off pwr from the engine compartment fuse panel thats under the cover

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

try inline fuses (20 amp) and momentary switches

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well add more lights and those switches will do something lol.