1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light tower won't lower

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fortywinks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Have a 7' Sport Duty on a 1999 Wrangler and it's been a great combination. But the last couple of times I've tried to remove the plow I've experienced difficulty removing it. At first I could just use a 2X4 to lift the plow off the mount while my kid backed away. This last time though I could not get the plow to clear the hooks. Took forever...

Plow down on garage floor, controller in float, switched off position, kickstand down. Push the light tower up which disengages the locks, disconnect cables. Now that I have the plow disconnected I notice that the light tower is in a nearly stright up and down position, rather than lowered toward the moldboard. I don't remember this being the case previous years. I also have to lift the plow over the hooks on the mount when I connect the plow, that is new this year.

Nothing appears to be twisted. Could there be some air in the system that prevents the lowering? While connected everything works flawlessly. It is just the connecting/disconnecting that is giving me problems. The plow is three years old and have never had this problem before. Any ideas out there?

KB

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If the light tower is still in a vertical position,then 1 or both pins are still in their holes,either partly or fully.This could be because of a weak or broken/missing spring on the pins---either fix that or just manually bang out the pins till they fully release.

The J hook problem could be just the correct height being adjusted some so you don't have to struggle.

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Don't disconnect the cables until you lower the tower away from the truck. With the cables disconnected, the plow won't stay in float position and the piston won't allow the headgear to lower. If the tower doesn't lower, the pins won't clear the hooks on the truck frame.

4. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

That's just the issue. The tower won't lower so the plow doesn't clear the hooks on the vehicle mount. I'll go over everything again on Tuesday and see if I can get the tower to lower. Tuney thanks for the reply. The pins disengage without a problem, its after that when the problem arises. Had an issue with the spring clips on my V plow and learned a valuable lesson. I always double check the spring and pin operation.

If I run thru the process again and stilll experience the same issue how do I "adjust the height"? Are you talking about the height of the mount or something on the plow itself? Thanks to both you guys for the reply.

KB

5. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

either you guys are smoking some good stuff or your dummer than a rock . Boss is the easiest plow to engage / disengage on the planet . this planet at least .:laughing:

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If you haven't changed tire size on the vehicle or put in a lift kit, the hight of the mount shouldn't have changed. Remember , switch on, plugs in, control in float until the headgear is fully retracted.

7. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Hey spool it up,
    That would be "dumber than a rock". Thanks for playing.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm going to take a stab and say that maybe your mount is sitting at the higher end of what is the ideal height & due to cutting edge wear your plow is now sitting lower, thus causing the difficulty. I deal w/ the same problem because of a 4" lift kit on the truck.

Try this...set a 2x4 under the cutting edge before you dismount, or keep a floor jack handy to give it that extra boost. When you install new cutting edges, you'll probably be fine again.