1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light tower will not drop.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Landmark1, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

I have an 8’ boss straight blade and when I go to lower the light tower it will not move.
    It will float down but will not come down under power, the motor runs but nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Check your plow connections first,second choice could be a bad toggle switch.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Check and see if both pins are coming out and if not pull them and then it should go down.

4. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

Both pins are out I can physicly pull the tower down, it just wont come down with the switch. The switch will raise the tower and when I toggle the switch down the motor runs there just isnt any hydralic power.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Take the cover off and check your connections.
    At least it's not an urgency though you can still plow with it.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is the pump straining when attempting to power it down? Or does it simply sound as if it's freewheeling (no load)? Not too often they won't power down.

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

My buddys plow does the same thing. IT free wheels the pump. No strain at all. His has been doing it for years.

8. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

Sounds like it is freewheeling. I dont hold it for very long, afraid of burning something up.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it's hanging up in the mount. The tower has very little downward hydro force (less than you can apply with body weight pulling on it manually) because it isn't needed if everything it working correctly, if there's any interference or too much resistance (tight pins, twisted mount etc) it won't pull itself down.