1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light Tower/Coupler welded pins

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by secret_weapon, Sep 9, 2015.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Anyone replace these pins that are welded in? These pins are pretty flat where they make contact to the truck side mount, and instead buying a new Coupler piece I am planning to replace them. Welding in new bar stock is the easy part. Cutting out the old could be a different story. A careful hand with the torch, I think i'll be ok. (Photo is not from my plow. I just did a search for the pic that showed the pins).

lightTower.gif

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If the pins are only welded on one side on the outsid. Cut the pin out in the middle then just torch out the remaing parts of tge pin from the outside. Start in the middle and work towards the outside you should be able to see the pin melt away from the edge of the hole. Due to the air space between the pin and the plow. Just watch where the weld is as the solid contact of the metal from the weld will transfer the heat and may gouge the plow.

I haven't ever replaced the pi s on a boss but anytime there is wear the tighter you can keep tolerances the slower it will wear. Sorry if you already have a plan for replacing the pins I have cut a lot out, I do welding repair. Hope it all goes good for yiu.

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

My pins are flat too . I am going to build them up with my small mig welder and then grind them smooth .....Thumbs Up

4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I haven't started this yet, thanks for the tip! I was thinking of using a Rotabroach cutter to cut though most of the weld and keep it round as possible. I have a couple sets of these from .25" to 2.5" http://shop.blairequipment.com/1-Rotabroach-Cutter-p/11348.htm
    Then hammer the pin out(theoretically)

I also thought about this, but am worried about not getting it round and then having high spots put extra wear on the truck side push beam.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Interesting never thought of anything like that. Always grab for the torch. That bit kinda looks like the bits we use in our mag drills at work.