1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light setup advice needed

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by oldmankent, Dec 8, 2011.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I need to get some lights on my truck ASAP. Used to have a single strobe on my system one rack, but want to go a different route as it is tough to use the rack with the strobe in place. I really like the atomic led cab lights. But I was thinking that hideaways in the rear would help as the cab lights aren't really visible from the rear. Can someone recommend an affordable decent setup? And is it worth dong hideaways up front with the cab strobes or should I just do two rear hideaways and call it quits? Thanks, Nick

2. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

I would do hideaways in the front and rear. Led's are nice... Check the internet, strobesnmore speedtech lights etc

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

IMO the Atomic lights are a great idea but i just don't think they are worth the money for what they do. I would agree with strobes or LED's on the "corners" front and back. What is affordable 200 , 300 ??

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

you should be able to get yourself a 4 corner strobe kit by WHELEN....not speed tech JUNK.....for under 180.00

and you should be able to get yourself WHELEN vertex in 4 corners for 280.00 or less.

so, typically...a budget of 300 works well for 4 corners....if ya do strobe it leaves ya left over money for a halogen roof top .

5. oldmankent

The reason I like the atomics is that they don't look like an additional light. I'm looking to set the truck up so it doesn't have a bunch of add on lights. I have a system one rack and boxes. I am trying to avoid putting a rooftop on as it takes up room on my rack. A rooftop light would need to be mounted to my rack. I definitely would like led's as they draw so little. I think from the front the atomics are very visible. From the back you wouldn't be able to see them though. Would just hideaways in the back be enough to get peoples' attention. Driveways and lots are all I'm doing? If I need to put a rooftop light on I have my old style strobe that I can put up there. Price wise, I would like to go cheap, but I don't want to buy junk. I know you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

corner strobes or LED's are very effective for the rear.Like dissociative said vertex's are decent lights

7. oldmankent

Ok. So seems like in Mass I need to stick with amber lights to be compliant. Does that sound right? Was thinking of going reverse lenses in the rear and parking lights in the front. What does everyone prefer?

8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

4 amber in that location is very nice...

but for a real pop...add 2 more into the cargo portion of your 3rd brake light....the rack should be cut to allow them to be seen from the factory....

or add a few e3 to the windows on the inside back along edges....

traffic advisory set on warning pattern....e3 by rear plate...

gotta get something along sides too...by running boards...toss a pair into the fog lights....

LOL

9. oldmankent

The rear cargo light has very limited site line due to my rack and boxes. I think 4 will be fine for what I do