1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by xrayman, Jan 18, 2005.

1. xrayman

xrayman Junior Member
    from iowa

I have a 2002 chevy 2500 hd. My low beams are not working. I plug into the plow and the plow lights work. I have a 7.5 western pro plow. Any one have any ideas? :drinkup:
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Bad bulbs?

Bad connection between the plow and truck harnesses?
  3. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Check your fuses under the hood in the Fuse Center. There are separate fuses for LH and RH headlamps. One or both could be blown, always a possibility. :drinkup:
  4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I get that with my Curtis plow if I don't clean out the old dielectric goop now and then. It gets gummy and prevents a good connection.

5. steveair

steveair Senior Member

for the western, somewhere under the hood, there's a series of 6 relays that the plow install guys put in to control the light functions between the plow lights and trucks.

Check those out if you don't find a obvious blown fuse in the panels. Think they are like $12 each, and can be picked up at a western dealer. That was where my problem was. I'm not sure how you test them, but I just bought a new one and replaced them all one at a time until I found the problem. Actually, as I remember better, I just reaplaced all 6 of them as many of them were quite corroded. I believe that 2 of them are for hi beams l/r, 2 are for low beams l/r, and the other two are for the blinkers. They effect the lights even when the plow is not conected. If you have no low beams, then I would think maybe two of them are shot. You should be able to get a wiring schematic from the dealer at the same time to help you out.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

If you have the western with the old setup (not the isolation module) then it's definitely a relay.

The older westerns had 4 relays for the headlights (2 HI 2LOW)
    The newer westerns had 2 relays for the headlights (1HI 1 LOW)
    Then there is the newest style. The isolation module setup, which is a large black box with several relays inside.

The power for all of these setups is taken from the headlight switch so it will not be a burnt fuse, or the headlight switch, or the Hi beam switch, because your lights work in low and hi on the plow.

I am assuming that you have the 2 relay setup on your truck.
    There should be a connector near your left (drivers) headlamp.
    Follow it back toward the cab until you find a couple of relays taped together in the plow harness.
    When you find them, swap them.
    If you have a bunch of loose wires on the bottom of the relays, then look at the terminals. They have numbers on the bottom. Make sure you pay attention to where the wires hook into them.
    If they are in sockets then just unplug them and swap them. (They only go in 1 way into the sockets)
    Now you will probably have low beams and no hi beams.
    If this is the case then take the relay to any auto store and show it to them they can match it.(these are very common relays)

Good luck

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. xrayman

xrayman Junior Member
    from iowa

thanls guys got it. only hard part was finding where they stuck the relays.
  8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

A 02' Chevy with the proper harness will have 6 relays,you'll find them behind the driver side headlight under the hood.
  9. drplow

drplow Senior Member

I Had This Problem In The Past. It Fixes Itself Sometimes. But Cleaning Or Greasing All The Connectors Seemed To Fix It.
  10. Iowalawn

Iowalawn Member
    from Iowa

i have 1 low beam on pass side bight and high beam is dim and no low on drivers side but high is dim. WHat could be the problem?
  11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i had to replace both of them from faulty connections. must be from corrosion and vibration.
    i would wiggle the connectors and remove the lights.
  12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

check your connections and grounds first.... Also, what version of the plow and truck combo do you have? makes it easier to diagnose..