1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Beachernaut, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Yesterday I moved my plow over to my newer vehicle and the plow works great, but I have a light problem. When my lights are on low, they are on the truck and not the plow, and when I go to high beams, the truck headlights turn off and the plow lights turn on.
    I've gone through the harness connections to the module, and everything looks to be connected right.

Here's some info on my truck/plow
    2002 Chevy S-10 Blazer
    7'4" Suburbanite
    3 port isolation module (PN 29070)
    Control Harness PN 22415
    Light Harness PN 22413
    Headlight harness (HB-3 HB-4) PN 28252

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

what truck did it come off of?

Plow ultra mount????

3port, 3wire? 11pin??, 3pin??

U might have it backwards.. GM change their common wires around..

When I did the search these numbers didn't come up Control Harness PN 22415
    Light Harness PN 22413
    Headlight harness (HB-3 HB-4) PN 28252

More info would be helpful

If I am reading this right, quick match tell me the following

headlight harness #29048
    light kit #64100

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

The old vehicle is a 95 GMC S-10 Jimmy.
    The plow is a suburbanite.

The part numbers on the harnesses were pulled strait from the tags on the harnesses.
    The module is a 3 port.

Unfortunately, my installation documents got lost this summer when I was building a shop in my garage. I am unable to find the exact manuals for my Iso module (29070). This is as close as I've found.
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/29206&29225.06_071508.pdf

The 95 Jimmy that the plow came off of has the same HB-3 HB-4 headlight style on it.

After thinking about it, I wonder if I may have one of the connectors backwards on one of the low beams. I'll check that tonight when I get off work.

This matches how my plow is wired (taken from the above .pdf).

schematic.jpg

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Double check the A/B configuration of the high beam connectors on the plug in harnesses.

5. twinman326

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to check my headlight connections, and do some more troubleshooting tonight.

Edit: I went out and checked the harnesses again.
    It's kind of confusing because the labels on the harnesses have both a PN and Service PN.
    Searching the PN comes up empty, but the Service PN get results.

I have the 29048 kit which includes the following individual pieces:
    28253 Plug-In Harness (HB-3/HB-4)
    26357 Vehicle Lighting Harness (11 Pin).
    29047 Vehicle Control Harness.

harness.jpg

7. twinman326

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have all the right components you simply have the headlamp plugs in harness connected backward. Once you get the plugs orientated correctly all should be good.

9. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

You guys are good. I ended up flipping the connectors for all 4 headlights, and everything works great.

I made the mistake of assuming they'd be the same between the 2 vehicles. They are the same vehicle, just different model years with the same headlights. Who would think that GM would take something that worked fine and change it.

I truly appreciate the help. I'll post up some pics if the snow ever gets here.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

My electrical mentor always spoke "You have to be 10% smarter than what you're working with".

Anyone who is "in the know" is aware that the headlamps systems changed on both the GM's and Dodges during the '98-'02 model years. But those that aren't are the ones who have a bit of difficulty getting properly functioning lights during a plow swap. That goes with the 10% rule. Knowledge makes everything easier. :D

11. twinman326

Glad everything work out....Safe plowing