1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light poles

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gc3, Dec 6, 2010.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I helped plow a big lot with some new guys the other night and they seemed to leave alot of snow next to the light poles. No one was getting close to them but me. I was just wondering how some of you more experienced guys have for a technique to make them look good without alot of wasted movements or backups around these. Do you have one guy plow one direction next to them then another guy plows the other direction when they get to it later? Thanks

2. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Try a shovel.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

My one guy goes 1 way and the other guy goes the other way and voila--most of the snow is gone.And 100% of the time,both of those guys are me.:)

4. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

We always have a six way push blade on the skidloaders on every job for trimming. With the larger blades like the 10' we pull dozer blade moves to walk the blade around the pole in three moves. Drive up to the pole backdrag a small amount directly in front of yah. Now drive ahead sliding the blade around the base ending up with the back of the blade on the other side of the base. Now angle your blade to the right sliding the material a few feet away from the pole. Do the same on the other side but slide the material to the left of course. We use clear poly to see objects in front of the blade for zero damage. Once you do it a few times this is done in aboot 10 secs. Hopefully this doesnt confuse yah but is the proper way to clear around them without shovels.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

plow as close as you can....without hitting it

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I plow up to the polls and then plow between them at about a 30 degree angle, working the blade a bit and dropping the snow far enough away from them (all in line), so it won't roll back in when I scoop all the piles at once. I do that until I have enough clearance to start making straight runs on the other side of the poles from where I started. When I'm done there is just a small triangle of snow on the front side of the poll from the direction where I started. It looks good and saves me a lot of time.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I'll have to try that thanks

8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

There is 2 ways to clear around a light pole quickly.
    1. lot's of salt. My personal favorite. =)
    2. pull up to the light pole with it centered in your plow and back drag. Do the same on the opposite side. When you are windrowing the snow around the pole it will give you just enough room to squeeze into the 2 spots you back dragged and push the snow away.