1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Light Metal Plate Repair?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 160ClassBuck, Nov 29, 2013.

  1. 160ClassBuck

    160ClassBuck Member
    from WI
    Messages: 37

    Plow bolts on lights are tight and can't adjust so I wanted to replace. In the process discovered the plate the plow bolts rest in is in rough shape. Left side had cracks that I welded up and is partially worn away. Right side is so badly damaged the plow bolt can pull through. Thought of fitting a larger diameter pipe over the existing "spacer" that the plow bolts fit into with hopes of getting into better metal further out. Or put a washer on the plow bolt and hammer the beveling into it.

    Any suggestions on how to repair would be appreciated.


    Thanks, Dave

    [​IMG]
     
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

    RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,592

    Really the only thing you can do is replace the lights. Either factory boss lights or aftermarket. We just replaced a set on a plow at work and used boss lights again. Personally and I think a lot of other guys will agree is this design sucked. If you wanted to spend some big bucks and make the plow look a lot newer than it is you could replace the bar that goes across the light tower (the bar the headlights bolt to) and replace the lights with the newest design boss has.
     
  3. 160ClassBuck

    160ClassBuck Member
    from WI
    Messages: 37

    Well I contacted BOSS and they sell the two plates for $60 as a pair so $120 for both lights. Not really an option at that price. So I figured the one plate is already shot, why not try some build up welding on it. Using a Miller 140 with flux core and a light hand was able to add some metal back on the plate. Good amount of grinding with hand grinder and dremel got them back into usable shape. Not great but usable. Just got done re-assembling and mounting the lights this morning and all seems to be good.

    Here is the final product:
    [​IMG]