1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light help plow covers them

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by evy30, Jan 10, 2012.

1. evy30

evy30 Junior Member

i just had a brand new boss snow plow put on my 2003 dodge ram 1500 and my light from the plow are covered by the plow in the raised position. if i lower the plow a little i can see but the it will scrape on uneven ground. i dont want to have to spend tons of money to fix this. any suggestions???
  2. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Does your truck sag alot in the front end when you pick up the plow, that would be why its so close to the ground when your driving.

Other option is just add longer bolts and add spacers to the bottom of the light to raise them off the bracket and get them above the plow. Not sure exactly what the new lights look like but this is what we did with your older ones.
  3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

picks bud......sounds to me like your had a sh1t install.....
  4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

That sound wrong,can you post some pictures raised and lowered?
  5. evy30

evy30 Junior Member

ill have to take a pic tomorrow i dont have the plow at my house...my truck does kind of have a downward lean all the time.(always has) when i asked the boss dealer they told me that my torsion bar needed to be lifted??? will this help anyone have any idea how hard that is or what it would cost??
  6. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

This must be a straight blade plow. I think all of the ones ive done, the blade comes up to far and blocks the view of the light. Just guessing. The torsions are easy for you to do. On that truck, Jack it up so the pressure is off the front wheels, then about half way back under the cab of the truck, there should be a long bar on each side that points foward of the truck to the front suspension. there should be a bolt that points down, possibly a size 18 mm socket. Tighten them 4-5 turns. Should raise you truck around an inch or so. We dont do to many Dodge 1500 trucks out here so this is all by memory. Im thinking they are the same as the Chev trucks. This still will not help your light problem though. The blade comes up to high regardless. Boss needs an extended light tower for them. In my opinion.
  7. evy30

evy30 Junior Member

yea it is a straight blade and it does seem like the light bar is a bit short. just didnt know if anyone ran into this problem?
  8. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

I have the same problem with my f250. Just have to raise it halfway. They do go up high which is good when piling snow.
  9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

a lot of truck's with tall beefy hood's get in the way of the light's , i know what your talking about my 2001 2500hd chevy was that way . boss made headlight extensions to raise them up and it worked on it .they shine just over the top of the blade when raised ,and i can see the lights over the hood now . i could get some pictures tomorrow if you want . part #msc03684 a pretty easy cheap fix go on boss site and do a part search enter the number and it will give a picture of the part .
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  10. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

If you change the torsion bars you should have the alignment checked. When I did alignments I never charged extra to level out a torsion bar truck, it's really easy with air tools and the truck on an alignment rack. I have hooked up the sensors then adjusted torsion bars and you can watch the #'s change by quite a bit.