1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light commercial duty: 5yr old 760LT or a 10yr old Boss 7.6 V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowVA, Nov 23, 2009.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Here's the deal guys.

1. Have my old 760LT only used lightly for a couple years and now sitting for 2 years (needs all truck side gear except joystick - approx cost $1000). Great plow, never had a problem with it. Fast and reliable.

2. Found a guy with an older 7.6 Boss V. Has a couple small holes through moldboard near cutting edge (size of a dime). Otherwise seems to be in good shape. Comes with all mounting hardware for the truck I am looking at. Guy wants $1300 for it.

Question: Do I stick with my blade, get the parts and have it installed (cost to me: $1300). Or do I sell my blade to my buddy ($850) and then buy the Boss V blade and have it installed on my truck (Cost to me: $1650 incl installation -$850 I made off mine = $800 Out Of Pocket)

Main thing is I have no experience with the Boss brand or a V. How do those older Boss plows hold up (mechanically, etc...)? Love my Blizzard, but I can save $500 going with the Boss and it may be better for smaller parking lots, etc.....

Thanks for any opinions!

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Go with the Boss...I have two older ones...one is 97' and it's a beast...parts are cheap..and dude, don't have someone put it on for you...get the installation manual pay a buddy and do it yourself...save the $800.00 trust me on this one

3. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Got some pics today...

The first pic has the plow and mounts. He has begun to get rid of the rust and paint some of the structural members. He also welded a piece of plate above cutting edge where there were a few rust holes through the moldboard.

What do you guys think of this for $1300. Controller and wiring harnesses included....

Boss 7-6 Power-v.jpg

Boss 7-6 Power-V -2.jpg

4. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

it's an older plow obviously, it's the RT2 series. They stopped making these around 99-2000. Parts are easy to come by. An RT2 is also the simplest install on a truck frame too. Really easy. Offer 900.00 (we're in a recession)...good luck

5. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

He offered me the plow for $900 including install when I was going to buy his 79 K-5 blazer. Now that I'm not buying the truck, the plow goes up to $1300 without install....

Said the plow worked great last time he used it. Told him I was concerned because it has been sitting there for 2-3 yrs. What if I hook it up and it has a bunch of problems. He said hook it up and test it. If it doesn't work, he'll give me a full refund. Makes me think this is a genuine unit.

6. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Going with the Boss

OK guys. Made my decision and even though I really loved the Blizzard (everything about it), I gotta save the $500 and get the Boss V. Just was curious how many of you have plowed with both and what your experiences were. Which did you like better. They are designed by the same guys basically. The old Boss plow has the Blizzard style "torque box" construction that the new Boss V's do not have. Something that Blizzard took when they left Boss and started out on their own, I guess.

Also, the guy who is selling me the plow had to cut off his old bolts when removing the plow from his old truck. Do I need any special nuts/bolts for my install?

7. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

grade 8's check install manual for sizes