1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light comm use - deciding on what Fisher to a 2011 Silv 2500HD diesel

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by woodchuckcanuck, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Got a 2011 Silv 2500HD 6.6L Diesel ext cab standard box, FGAWR 5200 lbs, GVWR 10,000 lbs.

Only looking to do light commercial and personal use. Was looking to get a Fisher 7'6" V-plow or a Blizzard Speedplow but according to the websites match calculators, neither plow are recommended... only a straight HD blade, 7'6" or 8'. I thought for sure a 2500HD rating with handle a V plow. Plow weight range for 650 to 930 lbs.

Wondering what opinions are out there on weight added to the front end. I know that overloading the front end can be a real i$$ue. Who out there are running using Fisher/Meyer/Blizzard plows on truck like mine.

2. brimfield

brimfield Member

I drive a 2002 2500 Duramax extended cab 8' bed and the Fisher dealer had me get the 8' HD, this was because I have a driveway with turns and the rear wheels coud run over snow before it gets plowed. He put Timbrens in the front to make up for the weight because at the time I had a highway drive to work. I have 12 bags of coal in for traction, I think 600 lbs is what Fisher wanted. A 2004 Silverado 2500 had a v plow on it where I worked last, no problems from the guys using it.
  3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Don't waste your money on a small plow for that truck, go with an 8'6 V. Your truck will handle it.

My friend has a 98 Dodge 2500 regular cab Cummins diesel that he bought in 2001,and put a new 9'6 Fisher V plow on it. The biggest plow recomended for his truck was a 8'6 HD straight blade (no V's). He wore out the 9'6 V after 10 years doing nothing but commercial and just put a new 9'6 V on that truck last year.

The FGAWR was 4850 on his truck also.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have a 96 2500 Cummins Ram which fisher said no plow (reg cab long bed) at the time for a config. The issue is overloading the front end... on independent suspension it's replacing components from accelerated wear that most people think of as consequences and ball joints on solid axle trucks. With a solid axle you can snap axles and axle tubes from overloading and don't forget accelerated wheel bearing wear. Manufacturers don't think about those things when rating for a plow, they think of liability... axle tube snaps and causes an accident... brakes designed and rated for certain AWR and GWR and allowing a plow and exceeding those are legal liabilities if the truck is involved in any kind of accident.

that said, my Ram has had an 8'HD straight plow since I got it (at 2 years old from the original owner) and likely had the plow from new. Shortly after purchase I installed a truss on the front axle, and always run some form of counter weight. Fisher specs around 1K lbs... roughly the weight of the plow as counterweight.
    Lots of discussion on counterweight Vs. Ballast... simple terms counterweight is behind the rear axle because any weight over or in front of the axle adds some portion of it's weight to the front axle. (basic physics) Ballast is usually referring to in bed weight... like sand in bulk or bags, or a spreader.
    I run 2-4 18 gallon Roughneck totes full of sand, salt, or a combination there of strapped to the tailgate. It's about 200lbs per full tote. that much weight at the back can give handling issues on curves...so I have about 400 lbs of sand tubes in the bed positioned so the front is just on the axle. (averages around 1000lbs in bed weight). Aside from the normal complaint of the track bar wearing too fast, I have had no issues with the front end wearing out too fast, or traction with decent tires. It's also nice to know what crosses to other family trucks... the 3500 Ram had the same Dana 60 axle, springs, steering, track bar, and geometry as the 2500 did... and they were rated for 9' straight blade with diesel in that generation. The only difference may have been brakes, but I'm not sure... it's been a long time since I looked it up.
    I am leary of adding much more weight on the plow...would never go to a Blizzard style plow, and would be cautious of a V blade on mine if there is a significant weight increase over the straight blade like the expandable blades have which the 3500 was not rated for back then. If the next larger class GM has the same components as the 2500.....

Also, don't forget a commercial plowing rig can handle a larger plow than a residential rig because once the blade is on the ground it's weight is moot. Commercial operations spend the majority of their time blade down, like municipalities where residential plowers spend a great deal of time blade up traveling between clients. Blade up it where the extra weight counts. Pushing a blade full of snow has little effect on the FAWR.
  5. Thanks for the replies. All great information. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd like to sell the tractor/blower combination first to fund any purchase of a plow blade. Until then, I'll use the Kodiak400 with 4ft Mooseplow for whatever the tractor can't do. That Kodiak is a true workhorse.

This was my day yesterday.