1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light Color Restrictions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 7d9_z28, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Hello everyone, i dont plow for money i plow for fun, i love it! i have an amber mx7000, which i know is ok. but ive always wondered if i could use a green lens on any of my lights? im in MIchigan, and i read the thread about mi lighting thats on here, but i didnt see green anywhere on the page provided... also, it was lasted posted on in 2008, so i figured id start new question here

thanks and i look forward to perusing this site over and filling my head with knowledge! this will be my second season plowing, 2nd of MANY to come!

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Green is too close in the color spectrum to blue. Besides, what does a green light represent to other drivers? It means "GO". Amber means "Caution" aka, the right message for plowing.

3. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

its just a bright flashing color light to me, personally when i see ANY flashing lights on the road, i perk up and check it out. i still run ambers lights, but wanted maye one amber one green strobe facing back or something. something for inside my truck facing out the window

just wondering what the law states

4. markknapp61

markknapp61 Member

After plowing for nearly 15 years I have always found it best to have Amber lights not to mention I agree with 7d... green is to easily mistaken for blue at night and you might find more trouble then you bargained for. I would check your local law and make sure that green is accepted because if you remember DNR uses green a lot.

5. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

well i started this thread to find out what the law is

and like i said, i do run amber. im talking about one simple green light amongst my ambers

and i only ever see green DNR trucks, with red lights. ive never seen any with green.

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=legal+strobe+light+colors+michigan

7. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

8. alk8778

alk8778 Junior Member
    from UTICA

I know its not the law, but Ive seen several private plow companies running green around my area.

I know when im out driving I see amber and dont think anything about it, but when I see green, I take a double look to see what it is. It would be better to catch attention for a company name, but since you just do it for fun, wouldnt be a huge bonus to run a different color.

9. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

I can't advise for the state of Michigan in particular , but in most states green is used to indicate the command post of an incident . Some states also allow their volunteer firefighter/ems to use green ; although blue or red is more common . Generally it varies from state to state .

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/aftermarket_lighting_8570_7.pdf

This is what I could dig up for you. Sadly , it makes no mention of green . Legal loophole ; use at your own discretion . . . I guess .

10. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

thank you

thank you for an honest opinion and not following the pack. i just joined the site today, and everybody here seems to full of criticism and not help. i appreciate you seeing it from a different point of view and offering your knowledge and experience

its the next best thing to the actual law!

i meant to quote alk8778 in this one!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I am from the holland grand haven area, and green means command post. I think you might find yourself being talked to by the po po more than you are plowing. Like said above green is very close in the spectrum to blue.

The site is very helpful. A lot of guys on here are blunt and to the point and know there stuff. Although people on here joke and have fun some do criticize others on here too. Welcome to plowsite.

12. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

thanks, here in ferrysburg, my dad is a firefighter, and their command/medical suburban has a green strobe out back.. but ive been involved in the local emergency community for a LONG time, and have never seen another green light around.

i just want to put a green lense somewhere, not make all my lights green

13. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Well sounds like you want to put a green light on so do it and see what happens worst thing is you'll be getting stopped alot..

But green in Michigan is dedicated for Incident command post in EOC,Fire,EMS,& Police.

I personally know you will have issues if you were in the area I work, most officers will stop you especially if you enter the roadway with it flashing/oscillating/strobing....

Good Luck !!

14. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

my lights are on when i back into the road, and they havent talked to me... thats the reason i have lights, so i dont get hit...

but if you KNOW that green is dedicated, then ok.

but even the link above for michigans aux. lighting doesnt mention green, so i hardly doubt its "dedicated"

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

GHPS Has green on the tahoes for command, Holland city fire has it also on a few engines. I am on GHTF/R and we do not have any green, but when we run with the city on a fire or major incident they run a green light for command. Were all just voicing out opinions on what you can or can't do. Were all just trying to keep you from getting in trouble and having the police stop you from having a good time plowing. We all hate it when the cops stop us while we are out plowing, its happened to me, and I am sure a lot more guys on here. Luckly for me the cop had nothing on me and I did nothing wrong. He got the wrong truck, but the point is I had to stop and wait for about 30 mins while he ran my info and asked me a ton of questions about something I wasn't even involved in. It also slowed my route time down.

16. InPlowBoy

InPlowBoy Member

In Indiana - Green is used by EMT's & First Responders - Like we use blue for Vol. Fire Fighters here.... And I know in Mich Vol FF use Reds... My $.02....

17. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

yeah ff use red/white here

18. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

I have seen a few landscaping companies running with green lights. That was quite a few years ago. Under Michigan State Law, snow plows are to use amber lights. There was a push to have green for incident command only, but I have yet to see it in the Michigan Motor Vehicle code. The only thing the Michigan Motor Vehicle code says about snow plows (private or public), is that they are to have an amber light that can be seen 360 degrees. There is a push to require commercial plows to have amber lights and a back up horn. Also they are to be registered with the DOT and MPSC under the new law. The last time I looked the law still had not passed, nor signed by the governor. Plowing your personal drive and not driving on a public road with the lights flashing, you can get away with green. The State Police and a few locals do ticket for having green lights when plowing in public areas (public roads or private lots open to the public).

19. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Thats the kind of response i like to hear!

20. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

My brother was warned by lake Orion to remove his green lens. Was told it means command for the fire dept. He had 4 green lenses with several clear and amber channels.