1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light Bulbs

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Chris-R, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I know the Boss lights are good but has anyone swapped out the oem light bulbs with something better and how much brighter did you find the new bulbs. Thanks for your help.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would think they are just a standard bulb, and that you could switch them out with any old bulb. Do you have the newer headlights?
  3. Jgrub75

Jgrub75 Member

I put the Sylvanias True View bulbs in mine and they made a huge improvement. They should be 9005 and 9006 bulbs if I remember correctly.
  4. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I pulled apart my light housing today. Yes they are 9005 (60watt) and 9006 (51watt) bulbs made by GE. Any thoughts on what replacement bulbs would light up the road better. I'll check out the Sylvania bulbs but want to know what others have done too. Thanks.
  5. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

If you have a Chevy/GMC truck with quad-headlights (2 seperate bulbs for low & high beam just like in the Boss plows), you can double your light out-put on both your truck & plow by simply splicing in a $5 relay in your truck's headlight harness under the hood. Since the factory lighting has your low beams off when the highs are on, just wire in your relay so your high beams also turn on your low beams at the same time, and when you switch to your plow lights, you'll have all 4 bulbs going on high beam there too. Makes a big difference, and it's almost free. Can't do this tho where you have a double filament within one bulb,... you'll burn it out in no time. I also put 100w bulbs in my Boss lights, so with all 4 on, you can see pretty good. Photo shows all 4 bulbs on at once.

Plowing Willow Lake subdivision (Small).JPG
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Becareful of the 100W bulbs in the plow socket, they tend to get hotter and could possibly melt the housing or better yet burn up the harness, that's what happen to my buddy. He said they draw more power then the harness was rated for.

Listen, if you truely want more light, buy the HID replacement system for your plow, cost about 300.00 bucks :eek: but will give you 100% more light, they work awesome !!