1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light bulbs out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Jun 26, 2011.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

hey guys in my 04 sierra all my radio back lighting bulbs are out. I have the steering wheel controls and all but 2 of those bulbs are out, and my 2wd button back light is out. How can one go about replacing these? I am sure there is a way to do it on the steering wheel. I just don't want to tear into it and wreck something. I know it can be done on the radio, just the same case as the steering wheel I don't want to find out I wrecked it later once the bulbs are replaced. Thanks

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

They are non-servicable. They are little soldered bulbs on the PCB's. You can do it, I have before, but it's quite intensive. I have the part numbers somewhere from radio shack. Believe it or not, the ones that i've run into are actually 6 volt bulbs with 2 wired in series together. As for the steering wheel controls, you replace the switches.

3. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Actually, now that I think about it, the 6 volt bulbs were in the climate control. The radio is 12 volt bulbs.

4. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Radio Shack part number 272-1154.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

In the radio you mgiht have better luck hitting EBay and pick up a used OEm headunit with all the lights intact. Might be not much more money than doing the work and alot less time.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I can do the radio. I am pretty good at taking things apart and what not. How does one go about getting the steering wheel apart to replace those switches? Is there a diagram on how to take that radio apart? I have the one with the tape deck/cd player in it.

7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I think the steering wheel controls just pry out.A bunch of mine have gone out but I am to much of a klutz to try to fix them.

8. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

The steering wheel controls do pry right out, I usually take a small right angle pick. The trouble with the steering wheel controls is that the harnesses are too short, Just keep in mind patience is key.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Go to dieselplace in the DIY section....very detailed pics and instructions for the steering wheel!

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks guys, I'll look into it more after the 4 th and let ya know how I make out.

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Mike, do you have a link of that thread you were talking about? (Post it on facebook or something) I tried looking for it, but all I found was one on how to resolder new bulbs in. My luck I'd burn the board and end up having to buy a whole new switch anyway.