1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light bars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BoulderBronco, Oct 24, 2004.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am looking into getting a mini or full light bar for this winter. Likely a Whelen. Anyway I have never had more than just a simple plug in gumdrop. There are a few bars on ebay, some which have wires cut. Now I am good a wiring so that's not the issue. What I need to know is if these light bars require any kind of power supply and/or control unit? I have seen control units for fairly cheep so I can pick one up. If I were to get a full bar with 6" of bare wires coming out what do I need in addition? Just the control box? And the mini bars (4 strobes) seem to simply plug into the cigarette lighter. Is that the only control on those? Either they are on or off? I have searched a ton for this info here and around the web but have not found much. Any help or pointers would be great. Thanks

2. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

you are going to have to check about the powwer supply.

some lightbars that came off of an ambulance have a seperate power supply. most of the others have the power supply built in.

as for the wiring, you should be fine. most of the older bars had a power, ground, and a signal wire to turn on each section of the bar.

hope this helps

3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I got a Lightforce Mini-Bar made by Sho-Me about 2 months ago. Had a buddy wire it (with power from the battery, relays, and holes cut in the dash for switches. Light was around $300.00.. Very bright! Has a built in power supply.

www.swps.net

4. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

from experiance

Most light bars that are rotators are very easy to wire. No power supply just wire to switch and go. Strobes and LED's need power supply little harder to wire

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

All lightbars I have run into are self contained. Obviously the more separate functions (work lights, strobes, flashers etc) that operate individualy the more wires and switches to control them. Generally a strobe llightbar (even from an ambulance or Fire Truck will have the power supply built in.

6. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

Abulance companys such as wheeled coach, and others, use lightbars that do not have a power supply inside. They use a very large strobe pack that controls all of the storbe lights on the entire vehicle. By them using one stobe pack instead of seperate ones the flash patern of the lightbar will match all of the other lights.