1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light bars & Strobe lights??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvcski, Feb 8, 2003.

1. jvcski

jvcski Member

Well i must say that last nights snow was like a wish come true. :)
    The area that i was plowing in got about 10-12" of snow. i'm also happy because it was an easy pushing snow. Does anyone out there have any idea's for light bars or strobe lights?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a whelen light bar 8 strobe with alley an work lights with a 90 watt hideaways in front and back.I like the strobes because of less power consumption the new whelen patriote looks nice real thin.

3. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I have a Streekhawk full light bar. 5 rotators, 2 alleys, 2 takedowns 6 flashers. I like it.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have got a Whelen 8 strobe w/ takedowns, alleys, and rear flashers. I also have 4 hide away strobes in the rear brake and reverse then hideaways in the front directionals.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Boy that sounds like a good set up chris K great minds think alike
    :waving:

7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have the Whelen edge strobe bar with hideaways in 1 truck and a older whelen advanedge rotators on another. I like the spiners better in the snow. The strobes tend to blind me at night when snowing. You can order the Whelen strobe bars with snow/fog strobes which tends not to blind you in snow and fog at night.

8. chris k

chris k Senior Member

You can never have enough lights. Actually I had only the hide aways at first but I found that during the day time the strobes in the rear break lights were not as visible as I would like. So I added the light bar.

9. Temco

Temco Member

I have a Whelen with take downs, alley lights, directional arrow and have hide-a-way strobes in front and rear.................oh wait, thats my police car :D

10. jvcski

jvcski Member

haha

Temco, that is really cute but what about putting some on my 98 Z71 p/u? lol

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Look at www.galls.com they have them in there whelen's usually pretty good price they also have a mini whelen 6 strobe 3 front 3 in the back.What kind of light do you like?

12. Temco

Temco Member

Don't know what your budget is but light bars can be as cheap as $300 or as high as $2000. Check out Lacey's in Medford or JC Madigans in Harvard. I also have several magazines you can buy them from cheap but would need someone to install them for you.

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

jvcski,
    Do you have a preference of Strobes or rotators?
    I like rotators better, strobes are much more expensive, but I suppose as stated earlier, you get what you pay for.

I will suggest to you the Highlighter and the ECCO Minibar, they range in price from $99-150, but they are pretty cool lights, provide 285 and 400 flashes perminute and draw 8 amps.

Highlighter
    ECCO Minibar

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

another good mini light that put out like 725 flash /min is the federal JM-FAST .Two 95's on the ends and a full turning 175 in the middle with mirrors very impressive not sure on price but must be in the $500 range my guess.

15. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Check out Sirennet.com they have some really good prices. Better than Galls. I found my light bar on Ebay for $300.

16. jvcski

jvcski Member

Hey thank you all for your imput on light bars...hopefully i'll get a good one...:waving:

17. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

Dido chris k:

I bought my Edge from sirennet.com 2 years ago. MUCH better prices than Galls!

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Just found out of another site www.rimindustries.com check them out.4 Whelen clear strobs 4 15' cables 90 watt power for $218 not bad price.