1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light Bars, Beacons, And flashers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksland, Nov 28, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

What is all the super high tech lightbar talk about? What is wrong with the trusty old Rotation gumball light? Am I behind the times by mounting this baby on my truck? Is there something I am missing?:eek:
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yes, I think you might be. But if it suits you, then its fine.

A W Direct
  3. smwmarc

smwmarc Junior Member
    from Maine

There is definitely an appeal to the looks of a traditional rotating beacon. After all that is one of the elements of snow plowing that I (and probably most of you) were thrilled with as a kid watching the trucks. Something about that light made getting the snow out of the way be more than just the mechanical act, it became an important duty of a man and his machine against what nature was dealing out. Almost as if the light did as much work to move the snow as the truck or blade did. Yet somehow it seamed to be different, more personal, than the almost militaristic style of the public works trucks with their flashing strobes, which seem to put you in a trance with their rhythm.:salute: :eek:

Well now that I am older and I don't just dream about owning a plow truck as I once did, it is a different game. The reality of making the truck work puts a new twist on the whole idea. Although I really still do not care for the look of the entrancing, blinding strobes of today, as compared to the comforting and serene rotating beacons, I use one on my truck for the advantages. What are those advantages?, you say. Well many, but mostly it all comes down to economy, and value. While the rotator will do the job in grand fashion, overall the strobe just does it better.

I will however keep my rotator shining as my avatar here at this site as the symbol of the respect and love of snowplowing I have had from my youth.:drinkup: :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  4. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I got to admit the newer light bars look great!! But I just don't want to lay out that kind of money when a single rotary or strobe will do the same thing. I know the bar is much more visible but people should be able to see the single light if they're paying attention.
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

thats the problem today though is that most drivers arnt paying attention. yes even in snow storms you have people talking on cell phones, eating, and all that good stuff. stay safe. scottie
  6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Wonderful speech :cry:

Anyone else?
  7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Marc, ya brought tears to my eyes! :angel:
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I don't know about you all, but I have the traditional rotating beacon as well, it's brand new in the box, pulled it out, powered the damm thing up, pretty bright, but I'm embarrassed to say what I did after. :eek: :eek: :eek: I went to the local Whelen dealer and bought the new low profile six strobe mini bar unit, yes I will say they are expensive, I paid $ 532.00 for the unit, but two of my friends were hit in the side of there trucks cause people weren't paying attention, and they both had the traditional rotating units. I don't think the rotating light will do as much as the bright strobe unit will.

Just my 2 cents worth !!

Keep it safe !
  9. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I have an old rotating beacon but i decided i like to be seen so i went with what i got now. :eek: :cool:

10. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

Ken....Those gumball strobes are reserved for old folk!!...lmao:rolleyes:
  11. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

To each, it's own!!!

I have loved lights since I was a kid. Police cars, fire trucks, tow trucks, and of course....PLOW TRUCKS. I for one, have over 20 lights on one of my trucks and about 12 on another. All of my trucks have mini-bars on them. Two of them have hide-away strobes front and rear. All of them have dash lights and three of them have visor lights. I use mostly all of the popular brands and recently I bought a L.E.D. dash light from Whelen and it's brighter than our light bars here in Chicago. You can't beat that they draw only 1-2 amps. Needless to say I love lights. Transition is the key word. Originally, halogen lights were customary (heavy amp draw). Then strobes (less amperage) came about and they were much brighter and for a change we could select our own flash patterns without the assistance of mirrors. Now L.E.D.'s have re-emerged any are just fantastic warning lights that even have stobe-like flash patterns, with minimal amperage and will probably out last your vehicle. So, I said all of that to say this, If you like then we love it! I just like to turn heads with my lights!
  12. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

cutting edge kid do u have any pictures of your f-250's that what i have and was just wondering what some one elses looks like

13. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I have 4 pieces of equipment (3 trucks and a CAT Loader) and have Grote 10 inch, 4 bulb rotating beacons on all. There are no current regulations for snow plows here. The logic is that it is they are same exact beacon used by CALTRANS. If I get hit, they will be hard pressed to say the beacons are not adaquate. They may look "antique" but as many times as the state has been sued, they have not changed them. An added plus, the beacon only draws about 30 amps.
  14. irocz600hp

irocz600hp Member

hey this might be nuts what about putting more the n one rotating light on the trucks at 20 bucks a pop u could put 5 on and still be much cheaper then putting a bar and more noticeable
  15. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Be seen is what its all about.
    Strobes is it.
    Front & back.
    Experience tells me that.
  16. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Remmers, as soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will post pic's of the fleet. I just started vacation from my yearly job (police) so I'll have more time on my hands to do so!
  17. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

This is a good topic, while I will always have a special place in my heart for the rotating beacon both on plow, construction and especially fire and emergency vehicles. I still get a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart when I see a Pendot truck approaching with those rotators on each side of the cab protector high in the air, BTW they are even used on the brand new trucks. I do realize the improvements in lighting technology and believe in a mix of a few different types being used sort of new and old school. Has anyone noticed that alot of construction trucks are adding clear or a white strobe and or LED type of lights, I find the amber/ white combo very noticeable. Anyone else see this combination, what are your thoughts? Wesley's Lawn, I also like the directional type of lights you use on your truck, I think for a construction, lawn and a plow truck a very nice addition to add, too bad those lights are pretty pricey.

Bob :D :D :D
  18. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Lightbars on 4 of our trucks. I believe more isn't really better. Too many lights are confusing to other drivers.

19. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

What brand light bar is that ??

20. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Whelen. The ends are strobes, next are 2 100 watt halogen floods, innermost are 2 halogen flashers.