1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light bar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnandplow42, Jul 4, 2007.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

I had my whelen mini edge magnetic mount lightbar blow off on the highway. Wasn't goin all that fast either. Has anyone done anything to a magnetic mount lightbar to help it stay secure better, without 'permanet' mounting it, or do I just have shi**y luck.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Tried stronger magnets?

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had a whelen mini 3 amber rotator for 10 years and it never blew off. I had also changed the magnets after year 2 to 200# magnets :nod: Depending upon the type of magnet they will only last for so many years before loosing grip. My new lightbar has 40# magnets but, they hold much better. I believe sho-me sells 90# magnets which are suppose to be very strong.

4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

whelen edge bars are top heavy ... and the problem is the shell with lenses is tall enough that it doesnt allow wind under and over ... my suggestion ... buy the whelen LFL Patriot mini bar .... its a bit smaller and lesser profile ..... and wont blow off .... \

or just buy a headache rack and bolt the light to it ..

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

My buddy had a 36'' mx7000 lightbar blow off on the highway while he was going about 70mph. He should have listened to me when I told him to buy hook on mounts for it. I would say that you don't have shi**y luck. Was it raining or anything. Or did your truck have any morning dew on it? That can play a role in a magnet sticking to a truck or not. I would go and see if you can salvage the lightbar and also see once if you can get stronger magnets.

Ryan

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

Hey to you guys that said you installed stronger magnets, where can I buy them?? Does whelen make replacements that are stronger? Thanks

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I bought them from McGreen sales on eBay ( http://stores.ebay.com/M-C-Green-Sales-and-Service ). I went for the 200# magnets, then I put a silicone bead around the outer rim and painted them to match my truck.

I've heard the sho-me magnets part number: #08.0308.000 are suppose to be very good too.

The thing with magnets is how they rate or classify them. There seems to be no clear standard so, some are based on pull weight others ???. The gist in most cases is the weight is based on a 1/4 inch piece of steal for attachment. In the end you have to check their strength every few years and replace them when you notice a let up in strength.