1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light Bar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Time Cutters, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Time Cutters

Time Cutters Junior Member

This is my first year in the snow plowing business and I do not know exactly what the law is in Minnesota for light bars. If anyone could help me out that would be great. What is a good one to buy? And where could I find it?

Thanks Adam

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I can't tell you about the laws but amber is leagal in most places .I have whelen 8strobe light bar and it is pretty good there are some many bars you can get big/small hidaways led's .

3. Time Cutters

Time Cutters Junior Member

Thank you Very much

Adam

4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

adam,
    I live right over in hudson and im sure you've seen everybody with yellow (amber) lights. If you get a chance come over to the Northern Outlet in Hudson (In Plaza 94)I got a new double halogen light bar thats normally 129.oo for 50.00! they have single strobes for 20.00 I think. good deals you should check it out, Scott

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Section 169.59 Minnesota traffic Laws:

Subd. 4. Flashing warning light. Any vehicle may be
    equipped with lamps which may be used for the purpose of warning
    the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular
    traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in
    approaching, overtaking, or passing, and when so equipped may
    display such warning in addition to any other warning signals
    required by this act. The lamps used to display such warnings
    to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely
    spaced laterally as practicable, and shall display simultaneous
    flashing white or amber lights, or any shade of color between
    white and amber. The lamps used to display such warnings to the
    rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced
    laterally as practicable, and shall show simultaneously flashing
    amber or red lights, or any shade of color between amber and
    red. Instead of a pair of lamps that flash simultaneously,
    either one or two strobe lights or rotating beacon lights with
    an amber or yellow lens may be used both to the front and rear
    of the vehicle. These warning lights shall be visible from a
    distance of not less than 500 feet under normal atmospheric
    conditions at night.

HIST: (2720-245) 1937 c 464 s 95; 1959 c 521 s 9; 1984 c 549 s
    30; 1996 c 456 s 21

Copyright 2002 by the Office of Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota.

Just search the internet, everything you ever wanted to know is there!

6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Click here
    for emergency/warning light laws of various states. Just click on your state to see the specifics.

7. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Just remember that more lights are not better. And not just due to an increase in cost. The purpose of the lights is to warn and notify, not to light up the area like a christmas tree on acid. Also, too much light will trick your eyes.
    You want people to notice you and move or stay away. Not look and stare like rubber necks on the freeway.
    When making a first lightbar/beacon purchase, get something thats meets your personal preference, but be careful not to overdo it.
    J

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I agree to some extent with LittleJay, but be sure that your light is bright enough to be seen. Those cheapo lights sold at Autozone and Farm&Fleet are not really bright enough to draw enough attntion to yourself. I went with an ECCO Mini lightbar. I paid about $130 for it last year, but I think that is is just perfect for me. Flashes fairly fast, but expecially since I have a darker colored truck (blue) I wanted a little more light. JMO

www.Eccolink.com

9. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

TimeCutters- You're in maplewood- take a run to Northern Tool in woodbury- I was in there last week and they have high-quality strobes and rotating beacons at VERY reasonable prices.

10. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

In Minnesota the law says: "Instead of a pair of lamps that flash simultaneously, either one or two strobe lights or rotating beacon lights with an amber or yellow lens may be used both to the front and rear of the vehicle. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night.

This means that you may ONLY display 1 or 2 strobe lights or rotating beacons. No more than 2, and no Alternating flashing lights. And they can't be those el-cheapos, they must be visible from 500 feet away.

Sometimes its interesting to read the law, not just to do what others do.

11. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

Private property do what you want...

Hi,
    I know it bugs some people when those plow guys go by and there is more bliking on their truck then time square..well I would disagree..I was in two auto accidents 5 years ago and I had on a light bar on the top of my F250 and they were on and some old lady hit me...she said that she did not see my lights...I added more lights to my truck hide-a-ways in the front and rear..still got hit. They did not see me..:confused: Ok so I added 3 hide-a-way strobes to each tail light on my new F350 I added 4 amber LED's to my truck box, I added 2 whelen slim liners to the back window, 1 over the rear view mirror, 2 LED's in the grill and 2 in the headlight and hid-a-ways in the corner turns..Have not gotten hit yet. That is how I got my name lotsoflights....On the road going from job to job I only run a couple of fronts and some rears. But when I'm in a parking lot they all go on.

hope that helps...

lotsoflights
    pumpkin:

12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Re: Private property do what you want...

(3 in each taillight, whoa!)
    wow :D

Can you post a couple pics of your lightsetup?

-John :cool:

14. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Hey Time Cutter heres what i got, havent heard anything from the cops about it. I want to replace the amber filter on the strobe for a clear one tho.

truck2.jpg

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Pictures, wahoo!

I didn't think of posting a picture, but since they did, I will too! This is my ECCO 5135.

3-30light3.jpg

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

About the same applies for CT. as long as they are amber.
    Here is mine. I took an old "roll Bar" from the back of my old 79 k-5 (may she rot in piece) flipped it around, welded longer legs to the bed and the wheel wells and welded mounts for the lights. I also have a late model GM truck LED third brake light. Now all I have to do is wire this stuff up.
    T.J.

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

oops here is the pic.

lightbar.jpg

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

TJS- What are those round orange lights, are they strobe heads?

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Snowybowtie,
    Yes they are heads. I have a Whelen 8 head control box that you can program all these types of crazy flash patterns or something like that. I have hide-aways in the amber part of the turn signal on the plow lites and also have another amber head style that I will put in the tailgate. Can you see I like lights..heehhe. No really I almost got smashed on time when backing onto a road at 3 am that had a blind hill. So now I want all the warning I can. I also run two batteries and an isolator as well and 130 amp alt.

20. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

In my experience, caution behind the wheel and defensive driving is your best approach to safety. People will always drive erratically, in the slick driving conditions it gets worse. In my opinion and years of experience driving Fire trucks, the more lights you have on a vehicle, the worse other drivers around you react. They either lock up and stop or drive towards the pretty flashing lights ( your vehicle).:confused: