1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

light bar question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

I was told by a friend who plows in stow ma. that you need a permit to use the light bar. I live in acton, ma. is this true or should I check local laws. Where do I get permit for this:help:

2. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

never hear of that..

how many trucks do you see that has light bar?

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

MA does have a yellow light permit - however it is not required if you have your company name and number on the side of the truck - otherwise you need a permit.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just what he said^^. Chances are you will never have any trouble, but it is better safe than sorry. go to the DMV and they should have all of the information. I used to live in Boxborough by the way!

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

In most states you only need a permit if you are going to be running red and or blue lights, not amber.

6. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

Mind if I ask where you found this info, or how you obtained the permit?

7. DeereFarmer

Go straight to you local police department or DMV. Almost every town and district is different. Every cop will be different. I have never been pulled over with my lightbar on whether it is during the winter or summer. But, I also don't abuse it either. Check what you local town suggests.

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I don't mind. It is stated as law in the MGL's. To obtain a permit there is a phone number to call - i believe it's a 617 number. Do a search for "light permit" there's another thread where i posted the exact number to call last year sometime. If you can't locate that thread, post another message and i'll track it down for you!

First Time Out: The law is not a town ordinance... it's a state law, it's the same in all counties, cities, and towns.

9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

10. DeereFarmer

I know, just some towns patrol it a lot more than others and others (like my town) don't really care. The town told me as long as I wasn't plowing town roads I didn't need to worry.