1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light bar owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpha Property, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

So I just broke down and ordered a sho me mini light bar with the magnet mounts for my truck, now with 4 90lb magnets I would think its going to take a little bit of work to slide it around and pull it off, but is this something that you guys leave on your truck all the time? I'm a little worried about it being stolen while i'm at the mall or at my g/f's apartment. I don't have a back rack and I don't really plan on getting one any time soon to hard mount.
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its on there good and won't just slide around or fall off- but it is easy enough to take off if you go to the mall- I did it this weekend. Mine has 4 95lb magnets and it popped off- took a good tug but it comes right off.
  3. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I hard mounted to deter theft, my whelen minibar was expensive, i dont really want to but it twice!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If someone can remove it from the truck without you looking. They eventually will. :realmad:
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had mine on the top of the truck for 4 years, every day, all year.
  6. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

I only leave mine on during storms and take it off at the end of the storm. They come off easily with a tug.

One thing to look out for though is the magnets leave circle marks on the roof which eventually rust. My buddy was telling me that some guys make vinyl circles and place them between the roof and the magnet to prevent this from happening. Just something to think about.
  7. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i'll probably start off taking it off and putting it on..... and then get lazy and just leave it on lol, might as well be honest
  8. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Good point I never even thought of someone taking that. I need to get better at being more theft deterrent. Thinking about it, I leave expensive fishing gear and snowblowers in my bed all the time. Mine is just sitting on the top, but it is a cheap one so I don't even worry.
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Had lights on the roof for years and they never moved or were never taken off and now they are mounted to the back rack.