1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light bar on a skid steer??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by moresnow, Dec 25, 2015.

1. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

We got a new cat 246d and were wanting to put a mini led light bar on it. Question 1: Is this a stupid idea???
    Question 2: It has a 12v outlet on the back of the cab for the factory beacon light. It is a small receptacle tho, instead of the normal vehicle size. Can one buy light bars anywhere with plugs of a smaller size?? Question 3: Does anybody have any better ideas??

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

They might have an adapter for the plug (large size to small) in an auto parts store. I put an amber rotating light on mine when I first got it; just ran the cord through the back window.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That plug is a CAT only plug.
    You can buy just the end, and make your own light.
    No it's not a stupid idea to put lights on the skid. I/we did it on all our skids

4. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

Where do you buy just the end?? Is cat the only place you can get an end? Also is the light on whenever it's plugged in, or can you turn it on and off from in the cab?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Need to go through CAT. And yes once you get the end, you can put on whatever light you want.
    What i suggested but it never went anywhere, was just installing a water proof cig lighter I'm it's place. Appears that all it would take is a bigger hole In the rops.

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

me and my friend installed a 30 inch in the front if his john deere skid and a 4 inch on the back, we ran it to the battery and a switch througugh the back of the rops, makes a huge difference front and back you and other people can see better.

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to a flasher mini-bar, not more work lights.

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I don't think there's anything "silly" about adding warning lighting to any vehicle used for plowing. We run Star (strobe) mini bars on all of our skid steers, loaders and backhoes. (The same light we run on all the pickups too.) In fact one could argue that with the limited visibility out of most skid steers, the additional warning might be a very good thing.

10. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

Yes, I was referring to a flasher mini-bar mounted on top of the cab. :) the work/headlights/ backup lights from the factory are good enough for us for now... But want a blinky light on top :)

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

^^^best way to go imo^^^.....when possible, I like to utilize factory switches/accessories.

moresnow, there should be a factory switch that controls that plug....probably has a beacon/blinky light icon on it in the cab.

13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I have a 262C and run a Whelen led beacon on the roof. I plug it into the cigarette plug and run the cord thru the cab filters no issues. I don't have the fancy cab switch just that plug outback of the cab.

14. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

I checked today an apparently don't have a factory switch for that plug, or at least not one with a beacon/blinky light symbol on it.... But I just got the skid steer an may not know what I'm looking at or for....

15. PHS79

PHS79 Member

Our Bobcat has a switch to turn the roof mounted light on/off. We had a beacon light on the top but while brush mowing the summer it kept getting knocked off and broke. So I put a Federal Signal Highlighter Pro on, our local truck up fitter carrys them and its pretty reasonably priced.[​IMG]

16. AmberHead

AmberHead Junior Member

If you're worried about a beacon getting knocked off. Why not add four surface mounted modules in the corners?

17. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

This is what we did on a Cat 242D. If I remember correctly the plug on the back of the cab is hot whenever the key is on. We made it switchable and just put a factory switch in one of the blank spots in the upper right inside the cab. The light is a axistech.

IMG_1133.jpg

18. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

How hard is it to make it switchable an I guess run wires to a switch?? Did you have to put a Cat plug on the light?

19. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

Bought the switch and plug from Cat. It's not difficult at all.

20. PHS79

PHS79 Member

I work for a muni and we are on a program through Bobcat, $1500 a year and we get a new machine every June. So basically we trade in our S570 with about 300 hours and totally bald tires and the dealer drops off our new one. But we can not "mount" anything to the machine ( no drilling holes or welding to the machine is allowed), so anything we put on it has to either use factory holes or mag mounts. The mini light bar has 4 magnets on it and has yet, key word yet, to get knocked off.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015