1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Light bar installed on 2500HD

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ChevKid03, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Well I got around to installing a small LED light bar that I purchased off of the site... THANKS BRAD.. I know it isn't a spectacular one but it works for me for what I am doing.. Anyway, I figured I'd post some pics of the final project.. As you can see, I ended up putting a two plug connector on both the truck side of the factory plow beacon light harness (plow prep package) and on the light itself. I soldered the connections and put heat shrink around them to keep it watertight. I used a dremel to notch the bottom of the third brake light enough to fit the wire through and still allow for the third brake light to fit the way it came from the factory.. I'm really happy with how neat everything looks.

2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

looks really good nice job.
    good luck this winter
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Ive never been a huge fan of that style/shape of light, but i like the way you mounted that! The wiring is a good idea too just in case you ever want to take the rack off! I'm guessing you used the factory light harness? Looks good, nice job on the install!

4. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

clean install...good luck this winter
  5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

looks good but are you sure thats an LED bar? Looks alot like a strobe tube setup than an LED.
  6. ColliganLands

could be 2 led beacons in there much like the strobe bar but with leds
  7. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Nice wiring and set up. We made our own light bars. Also drilled through the back light to run the plug. Always nice when you can take it off in the summer!! I guess I'll have to get some pictures.
  8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Sorry, your right... It's got strobes. Not LED's... But hey, all I care about is that it lights up and works. Got a great deal on it. Oh, and I plan on buying an additional "two plug" wire setup so that I can make a "cover" for it during the summer months when the light is unplugged and removed from the truck.
  9. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I'm still looking for the factory wire. Congrats on finding it and thats just about what I want to do, put a connector on it so I can take it off in the summer or for whatever reason.
  10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

It's not hard..... pop down the drivers side part of the headliner and you should see it wrapped up in there. Has a black wire and a brown wire. Brown wire is much thicker. GOODLUCK!
  11. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

nice wiring job. I know what to do on my next lightbar.
  12. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i would have ran the wire down and into the bottom of cab doing that way the wire could break with the rack was to sway to much
  13. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I have that rack mounted so tight that if it moves that much to pull on the wire, the bed is going with it. I had thought about going that route but the factory run wires aren't long enough to go that route... I didn't want to have all kinds of splices in it.
  14. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Black ground?
    Brown Power?...Thanks
  15. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

good looking install, now you got me thinkin
  16. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

nice install! any opinions on where to mount the back-up lights on that back rack? high or low is the question- too high & too much glare, or too low & too much shadow. any help would be appreciated by the new kid- thanks!
  17. ColliganLands

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice lightbar, I wired mine in with a 2 prong trailer plug, to take it off fast. Nice work
  19. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thanks alot for the comments guys. I appreciate it!!

Mikelawtown, you are correct.... Brown is power and black is ground.
  20. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Nice job.......