1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting too slow Speedcast

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SuperdutyShane, Dec 24, 2009.

1. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hey my friend has a 1993 Gmc 1500 with a 7'5'' Speedcast. The truck has the 350 engine in it. The piston lifts very very slow. It will lift about 3 inches at an idle then it will not move at all. After 3 or so inches the engine needs to be revved up to lift it any higher than that. The belt on the pump is a little loose but I dont think thats it? Also the lift piston leaks a little but he always keeps the pump filled and he is going to fix/ or get a new piston .

Thanks everyone.

2. SuperdutyShane

Where is the valve spool adjuster located on a Speedcast? You are supposed to turn the screw in 1/4 intervals at a time right?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Shane - Based on your PM, I'm pretty sure your buddy needs a new pump.

I'm not aware of any adjustments on these. If there are, I will be just as happy to learn about them too........

Slow to raise, stops halfway up, need to rev motor to raise fully. Fortunately the blade stays up once it's lifted. If it leaked back down, that would mean you need a new valve body also.

4. SuperdutyShane

Thats what my first assumption was when he came over today to show me the truck. Any idea of the price a new pump would run him? Would it be worth looking through a couple junkyards to see if there are any trucks with compatible pumps on them that he could take off?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think they are around $350. The valves are about the same. A used one is really a crapshoot. If someone didn't bother to pull it off, it's likely shot. Unless the junkyard will verify they tested it and give you a warranty.

A new valve and/or pump is alot of coin to put into an old plow, but other than those two items they are bulletproof. And it's still less than putting a used MM on, which could still give you trouble.

6. SuperdutyShane

Okay sounds good. He just picked the truck up for 1500. Its a 1993 GMC 1500 with the 350 engine. It has 89xxx original miles, and one rust spot no bigger than my pinky on the front fender. How much longer will this pump last if he has to keep working it like this? Hes a grave digger and with winter comes no work so I would imagine money might be a little tight. So if he could squeeze a storm or two out of it to make the money for the pump would be nice.

Yeah, let me save your post where you just called Fisher bulletproof and there wasnt one mean thing said about Fisher in that post! Or a reference to my "ol' wreck" Ford! :laughing:

My blade is the MM1 engine driven and Its nice when Im going into a pile I give it a little gas and the blade jumps up. Lol.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He could plow for quite a while like that. The pump on my 81 is weak, and I think it has been for a while. It's just frustrating more than anything, especially with an automatic.

There's quite a difference between a Speedcast designed 30 years ago or more, and an XtremeV designed three years ago. Few would argue the durability of a Speedcast. They still had issues - chain lift and crappy cutting edge angle, but they were reliable.

8. SuperdutyShane

Yeah I was just gonna say I can imagine at least with a standard you can push the clutch in. Reliability is a big thing! Speedcast are pretty heavy duty. I mean, provided it is an HD and stuff but if I put his Speedcast or my early MM next to a newer HD, from what I've seen in pictures and stuff, I would believe that the older blades are more rugged.

A little off topic but... I cant wait til when I go to buy a new truck, Im going to buy a V blade. I know its more moving parts to break but the versatility of a v blade seems second to none.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher built their reputation on the durability of the Speedcasters, and to a lesser degree, Dean's commitment to customer service. When he was at the helm, you could roll in to the factory in Rockland and get whatever you need. Open 24/7 during a storm. Now dealers can only pickup up parts on their designated day, at the designated time slot.

While the product quality has declined, and the corporate philosophy has defeated common sense, many guys still continue to purchase Fishers expecting them to be as good as grandpa's plow.

You don't have to read many threads regarding problems with new Fishers, Westerns, and Blizzards to see that customer service is not the top priority. Make the sale, put band-aids on the problems. And try to blame the customer for everything. Abuse, plowing too heavy, plowing too fast, etc.

10. SuperdutyShane

It would be nice if places were open 24/7 during a storm...

That seems like a common thing with everybody, whether a major business or something small. Seems like the majority of America lives with a "blame everyone, sue everyone" mentality. You know Im young and I didnt get a chance to experience living in previous times, but I did a lot of reading, and just listening to stories from my father and plenty of other "old timers."

I would love to have lived in a time where you could trust people, simple acts such as pulling over and helping someone broken down wasn't risking your life, and even just little things that made such a big difference. My biggest problem with people is how lazy everyone is. Nothing infuriates me more than millions of perfectly-capable-to-work-people sitting at home living off people working their ass*s off.

I also always liked the idea of a small town. Where you knew everyone and all that. My dad tells me stories of when he grew up (50+ years ago) about all the things you could do and just get a slap on the wrist. The only thing he ever said he didnt like about a small town was you had to drive somewhere to go to a mall or something like that haha.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem there are many small town types left. I think when I'm old enough Im going to move to a small town.

11. usedcarsinri

usedcarsinri Junior Member

call plowking in smithfield rhode island he has pumps there used.. 401-447-6456 his website is www.plowking911.com