1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting Ram Compressed or extendended for intallation

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tmcmurran, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tmcmurran

tmcmurran Junior Member
    from Canada

Should I have the shaft compressed or fully extended when installing the cylinder while the plow is mounted and the blade resting on the ground?

New to all this and have had nothing but a sore back and cold hands here in Western Labrador :(

2. tmcmurran

tmcmurran Junior Member
    from Canada

I think my brain matter just kicked into gear. I suspect that the ram should be compressed due to no fluid in the cylinder. When you would go to raise the blade, fluid is pumped into the cylinder causing the blade to go up. Did I assume correctly?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Always lower the lift ram completely. I think it says so in the manual, and on the install sticker on the plow

4. tmcmurran

tmcmurran Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks for the reinforcement :) Been trying to get the documentation but the supplier is a little uncooperative. Spoke to tech support on the phone today and sent a few images since the blade was not going up as far as my old plow. They asked that I change a few mounting bolt locations to gain more lift, but I think I misunderstood the instructions :) -40 here and pretty darn cold to be playing around outdoors on this. Will get it in the morning though, a balmy -19 :)

5. dieselss

I'm assuming an ultramount ?

6. tmcmurran

tmcmurran Junior Member
    from Canada

Frontline Plow with custom mount on a Jeep Cherokee with 5.5" lift

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. dieselss

I stand corrected