1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lifting problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by yischrax, Aug 31, 2003.

1. yischrax

yischrax Junior Member

I have a 79 k-5 Blazer I want to do a 4 inch lift and put 35 inch tires under it. My problem is that I keep getting told I will run into problems with my drive shaft coming out of my transfercase even with a lowering kit. What changes should I do so that I don't have any problems with my lift. Is there any lift kits you guys would sugest it will be mainly a on road show truck. Though it to will see some mud once in a while. Thank you for any help given to my sitsuation.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your worried about the driveshaft coming out,then get it lengthened,so it cannot come out.

You could also go with a body lift instead,like a 2-3" body lift,and a minor 2" suspension lift.
  3. yischrax

yischrax Junior Member

This it my question though is it going to be a problem? Or is this only a problem with a 6-8 inch lift?
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Aren't there slip-yoke eliminator kits available for the 205/203 transfercases? I think that would be your best bet. This way the driveshaft itself would have to be splined and it would extend and retract as the suspension travels.

This webpage has a few kits, But I'm not too familiar with the process.
  5. yischrax

yischrax Junior Member

that dose seem like a reasonable fix. Is there any brand prefrences that I should be looking at for. Both in shockes and in the lift is there any other parts I will be needing for my lift than the lift kit?
  6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

You won't have drive shaft issues if you use a 4in kit. I have done a few with no problem and there are enough out there with stock shafts.
    The only problem you will have is the tires will hit at lock with the suspension flexed out. You could use a narrow 35 with plenty of back spacing or just trim the front and rear lower corners of the fenders.
  7. yischrax

yischrax Junior Member

I was looking at using br goodrich alterain TA KO's they are a 35 inch tire on 15's or 16.5 inch rims (10 inch wide) and the tire is 12 inches wide so I will have problems with this.
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I don't think you need to worry about you drive shaft falling out of the transfer case as you should have a yokes and u-joints.

The driveshaft will seperate under articulation at the splines maybe. You can get your current shaft lengthened at any drivehaft shop for under a $150 a piece. Or a completely new shaft for under $250

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

It shouldn't have a slip yoke,it should be fixed yokes on both ends.The shaft will still come apart in the center if it's not long enough.