1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting plow into/out of my bed...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I am bringing my plow down to NJ this Fri- I have a guy at the other end lifting it into my truck for me, and a guy here in NJ lifting it out. My question is- where is the best place to wrap a chain around to lift it in and out of my bed? I'll be using a 3/8" chain.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I would just run the chain threw the plow mount and while your buddy lifts it hold on to it to stabilize it just keep your feet out from under it.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Why do you have to move it? I would get a tractor and then just rap a chain around the frame and pick it up.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It's in upstate, NY in our barn, I'm bringing it down here to NJ for the winter (hopefully :dizzy: ), it's a 4 hour drive at 70MPH- want the plow in the bed! I plan on using the chain around the frame, but where is the best place to wrap it around?

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

straps should do the trick just fine and they are easier to put on

6. PM/FF

PM/FF Junior Member

I'm moving my plow next week...its about a 2 hour drive mostly back roads. I can't get it in the bed due to the various crap I carry and my hard tonneau. Should I move it with my landscaping trailer? I was just going to mount it on the truck and take the drive. Reading this now, I thought maybe I shouldn't travel that far with it mounted...

Any opinions???

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

MATT, well no one else has answered with a real answer, the best place is usually right around the frame where the plow pivots on the center bolt(left and right). Thats about the center of the weight for most plows unless its just the blade and no hydraulics. Moving the chain around a little or physically balancing it will balance it perfect, but that will get you close.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Your trailer would be your best bet. Keep the stress off our truck, and not have to worry about it. If i was moving my plow that far and the bed wasnt available i would put it on the trailer.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Use a HD strap to hold the head gear down tight against the blade. You don't want the piston opening up or slamming shut on you when you've got the plow swinging in the air. Find a decent spot to put the chain and hoist it.

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

well this is sounding complicated. Maybe im crazy but when I bought my plow last year it was 250 miles away. They had it assembled and ready to go. I drove it home hooked up to the front of the truck for the 280 mile trip home with no issues. No overheating issues either, infact the truck was nice and smooth. BUT whatever floats your boat.

11. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I remember standing there as your V blade fell 8' to the ground. Im not kidding BNC used rope when we were in CO and it crashed to the ground :drinkup:

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I can and have put my plow in the back of my truck by myself with just an engine hoist. its not that hard, and only takes a few minutes !!! I figure on a Western uni-mount type plow with a chain. securing the slop, tightening the chain or strapping it together should be obvious, but i am no expert....

13. Vaughn Schultz

Dont listen to him. He has been drinking

14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

your not helping, and yes the rope was not a wise choice, but it worked the first three times. Just not fourth, ha ha.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  15. Vaughn Schultz

You left a deep hole in the street. The best part is we knew that was going to happen and we still did it. . . . . .. . . . . and just as we thought . . . .. . it fell wesport

16. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Things dont always work out the way you plan, thats called learning.....50 hours behind on sleep doesnt help either..

17. Vaughn Schultz

Try 150 ha ha we did not sleep for DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS :eek: Im not kidding 3 of 4 days

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

And people wonder why his plow wings are bent and he has had to replace his lights.
    Forth? Ya, you've been drinking :drinkup:

You knew it was going to drop so you continued to move it?

What am I getting myself into with possibly helping you guys??

:D This is going to be a good winter.

19. Vaughn Schultz

Thats what I like to hear ! !!!!!

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

As long as my trans doesn't cook itself right away it should be fun.