1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting issues

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by zabisis, Feb 25, 2010.

1. zabisis

zabisis Junior Member
    from Ontario

I picked up a used SB 7 footer with Superwinch 2000 for $500. I have it mounted to My 1997 Pathfinder.
    I have plowed 3 times and my only issue is this....
    When I first lifted it, the plow would come up high enough that I could just see the deflector on the top of the plow. Now three plows later it is not coming up that high probably 3 inches lower and catches on the ground as I am backing up.
    I replaced the cable with winch rope today with no better results.
    I am wondering if there is a part missing because the winch gets pulled down so close to the plow frame.
    Here are pics of the set up.
    any ideas??

2. timkam

timkam Junior Member

my bet is that you are having the same problem I did (can barely see the edge of the mount in your first picture). It looks like the mounting forks / tubes are angled down too much- which will cause the overall plow to be lower (including the winch)... Since everything is lower the plow won't raise as high and you may run into problems where the 2 a-frames interfere with the tilt angle and eventually bend the top a-frame tube down (if they are touching when you raise the plow.). You could try contacting snowbear and see if there is a way to "shim" the mount on your vehicle- otherwise it talks (in their troubleshooting section of their website) that you can angle the mounting forks (on the crossmember) up with a jack (IMO this would weeken the metal because you are bending it). Check my thread out right above yours on the plowsite snowbear forum for some ideas some had about this... 1 idea was to loosen the bolts on the crossmember to vehicle mount- push it up- use impact wrench to super tighten the bolts- then drop a weld bead where the 2 points meet (probably should paint that once you do that)- good luck, please post what you find.
  3. skidoo

skidoo Member

I had the same problem, when I first put the plow on it was high after I used it a bit the plow wasn't lifting as high, especially when angled. My problem was the bolts on the cross piece had loosened enough to let the cross piece tilt down . Even if it is only tilted alittle it will drop plow alot. I loosened the 4 bolts and pushed the cross piece back up as far as it would go and tightened with impact gun and lock nuts. Plow lifts almost to high now, going to have to put lights on. Hope this makes sense and helps
  4. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

Yes looking at the pictures it looks like the Vehical mount points are angled down. That is the first place I would start looking.
  5. zabisis

zabisis Junior Member
    from Ontario

OK thanks to everyone who pointed this out. Seems it is a common problem. I will go the route of having it welded once in place.
    I will post how that works out.