1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting chain replacement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

After three years of hard use one of my lifting chains on my Wide-out finally broke so I replaced both with 1/4 chain as the parts sheet specified. But when I asked for type 43 they looked at me like I was from Mars. Of course this inferior chain broke the first time I plowed. So today I went to a speciality chain place where again they didn't know about type 43. I had to research it and find "operating weight" which was 3500 lbs I think. They sold me 20' of good, strong looking chain for $24. The local western dealer wants $52 for one chain kit. About three feet of chain and a u-bolt! Has anyone been down this path and figured out a suitable substitute for this 1/4" type 43 chain that won't cost $100 to replace both pieces?

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

We always used hardened chain from the hardware store for cheap. I make my own brackets for the rubber flapper since the dealer wants waaaaaaay too much for them.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That is interesting that this G43 chain is available in the US but not here in Canada. My chain guy sold me what he called GR70 which has the 2600 lbs working load same as what you made the link to Dieselss....

OneBadDodge06 "I make my own brackets for the rubber flapper" I am not sure what you mean by the rubber flaps? Do you mean the rubber squeegee thing in the middle of the two cutting edges on your MVP? I feel for you there. Those rubber things, including the Wide-out wing rubber cutting edges, are sooo much money.

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yeah man. The old school center wiper between the cutting edges. They're pretty easy to fab up with a torch and a vise for what the stealer wants for those. I changed the hole location and angles of the bends to get more life out of those. The pavement grinds through the nut on the backside before its even wore out. $100 for a set of lift chains is insane. Forgive my ignorance but is this that special of a chain that you couldn't get one from a hardware/farm store? Figure as long as its hardened steel it would work good enough for what its for.