1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lifting a 94 4x4 with a plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mrzq8, Dec 20, 2001.

1. mrzq8

mrzq8 Junior Member
    from il

I'm planning on a 2-3 rancho lift on my '94 chevy ext cab 4x and a 2 in body lift. First question is....Will i be able to clear 33x10.5 tires with the plow on, and will this lift kit harm my trucks plowing ability. I bought this truck used with the Meyers plow already installed, and i'm looking for an original manual for the pump unit....it is an E-60 if anyone has any info...thanks for any help

2. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I had a 94 1/2 ton with a 4"suspension 3" body lift with 36x12.5 super swampers on it.Cut the lower corner of the fenders back and also the lower corner of bumper and tires would still hit.This truck didnt have a plow.Only kept that truck for about a year and half after lifting it.Guy that owned the off road store told me not to lift it.He said he never knew anyone to keep them as long as i did.I should have listened to him.They look cool but good luck with the front end.I know a guy that had a 1/2 ton with a 3 inch body lift that ran 33x10.5 with no problems but he didnt plow.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2001
  3. mrzq8

mrzq8 Junior Member
    from il

by good luck with the front end, what do you mean?

4. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Depending on how the suspension lift is made some kits lower the front axle and some dont.If its not lowered cv joint boots and the joints will fail a lot faster than normal.The guy at the off road store told me they are a real pain to keep an alignment on when lifting the suspension and he was right.I had alignment problems and the cross bracket between the two lower a arms broke three times and i never even took that truck off road.The suspension lift i had was a Tuff Country lift.The guy from the off road store had a Trail Master if i remeber right and he said he had problems keeping a alignment on it.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You are asking a lot of that truck,IMO.The body lift is going to make it run hotter,since the fan/shround never cools as well when its raised up.Plowing will only aggravate this.Wide,tall tires are much harder to turn,as in side to side,this puts a lot of extra stress on the entire front end,you will feel it in high turning effort,without a plow.Add the plow to this truck that is already being operated with stress beyond its intended design,not to mention this truck is only a 1500,and an extended cab.It will work,but I agree ,good luck with the front end.I truely dont think its worth doing the suspension lift,if you want it that high,sell that truck,buy a used F250/350 SD,or a Ram 2500,solid axle truck that is already tall,it will be cheaper in the long run.Those trucks are 3/4 ton,and built to handle the weight of a plow,with proper options.Your going to drop a ton of money into that truck,and make it unreliable,and ruin its gearing,and durability.You will have tall tires+ little 8.5 rear end,+ plow= broken parts.Rear end will be under lots of stress,tranny will be running hot,since you are effectively regearing the truck,to about a 2.73-3.08 axle ratio,you'll likely need low range to plow.thiswill work the trans extremely hard.I wanted to do the same thing your contemplating now,about 4 yrs ago,I fgured it was better off jumping the gM ship,due to a few other factors as well as being to low(paint peeling).I went with Dodge,and while its not as refined as GM,it is much more of a truck,and less car,which is what i wanted.if you decide to get another truck,get 4.10 gears,so when you add larger tires,the gearing will drop to effective 3.5 ratio,stil Ok for plowing.If you go ahead with your project,good luck,and keep plenty of brakes,idler arms,U -joints,and ball joints for spare parts.You will likely end up needing 3/4 or 1 ton torsion bars,or the front end will sag right down with the plow,even with your cranked up,the 1500 bars are just to thin to support a plow without sqauting all the way down,especially on excabs.

6. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER Junior Member

E-60 MANUAL

CONTACT MEYER DIRECTLY ON THEIR HOME PAGE. IF YOU ASK NICE THEY WILL ALSO SEND YOU A BUMPER STICKER.